Recommendation, similar to liquifire

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by xtrustisyoursx, Feb 18, 2010.

1. xtrustisyoursx

xtrustisyoursx SS.org Regular

So I have a Douglas SR370 (solid ash body, maple neck) with a Liquifire 7 in the neck. I really like the pickup, and it's very close to what I'm wanting, but I think it's just too high output. I generally tend towards medium output pickups. However, I really like general character of the pickup, the overall EQ of it, and it's versatility. It can get a nice bubbly fluid lead tone, or a spanky type sound, and has great cleans (if your amp has the headroom). I find that with the amp settings I use and prefer, the Liquifire just isn't getting along. And yes, I've messed with pickup and polepiece heights.

Is there another that has a similar character and EQ as the Liquifire but with just lower output? Another pickup I really like is my Jazz in my mahogany SG. Warm, yet bubbly and sparkly on the top end.

Any ideas?

2. sPliNtEr_777

sPliNtEr_777 SS.org Regular

isnt the liquifire a tweaked Air Norton, with slightly higher output? Ive heard theyre a medium output pickup, albeit with a tone verging on nasal.

Im no expert on Dimarzio, but I would say look into an Air Norton

edit: alternatively if you have the budget Id say Q-tuner high z, they are perfect.

3. xtrustisyoursx

I'm kind of looking at the AN7, but I've heard they're a bit bassy and I don't think i'd want something with that much low end. I'm actually thinking about checking out a PAF7.

4. mrhankey87

mrhankey87 Banned

I'd suggest 59, jazz or q-tuner hi-z.

5. xtrustisyoursx

Well, I don't think they have a 59-7, and the Jazz7 isn't really like the 6. I'm considering the q-tuner, but I don't know if I like that kind of think spanky single coil tone or not.

6. sPliNtEr_777

sPliNtEr_777 SS.org Regular

q-tuners dont have a spanky single coil tone dude. theyre really tansparant and rich, extremely hi-fi. at least the humbuckers are, thats what we were suggesting, a GL-7 high z :yesway: