recommendation for a rack EQ with hi/lo cuts and high Q

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JediMasterThrash, Oct 13, 2018 at 12:06 PM.

1. JediMasterThrash

JediMasterThrash SS.org Regular

I've been looking for a rackmount EQ that has a few features.

For use at the end of an electric guitar signal chain right before the poweramp and cab.
    For live use and recording mic'd cabs.

hi and lo shelf filters with adjustable frequency, so I can cut out floor resonance and icepicks.

And a tight Q on the EQ so I can target some bad buzzing or "Essing" frequencies without totally clobbering the high end.

I currently have a little behringer FBQ800 because it was cheap and I wanted to trial out how whether it helped improve sound at all before going for something bigger/better.

It does a great job of being able to boost low-mids and high mids to give some energy to the sound, and the -12db slider at 16khz helps with the highs. And the 75hz hi-pass shelf doesn't affect the sound which is good.

But with only 10 bands I can't really target any frequencies. I think for a graphic EQ I'd need at least 31 bands to get somewhere, and that's assuming the Q is actually close to the slider bandwidth, which from what I'm reading the Q can vary dramatically from brand to brand.

I actually think I'd rather prefer something digital that lets you do a parametric frequency sweep and dial in a tight Q. But most parametric EQs have very wide Qs. If say you want to dial out a buzz at 5.5k but don't want to kill the highs, you need something around 0.05 octaves or tighter. Most parametric Qs are 0.2 to 0.5 octaves at best, and that's almost +/-2khz.

Behringer has a digital EQ and also 31-band EQs, but a lot of reviews say it's good for budget but not the best for noise and reliability. Some recommend DBX but other's say it's also not that great. There's some good looking used Peavey's I've seen.

I'm just wondering what's out there and good.

Budget, a few hundred OK, a few thousand nope.

Definitely want something quality. Things like tight shelf filters and high Q can generate a lot of phase shifts or harmonic oscillations if you don't use a quality circuit with a high-tap filter. Or good A/D sampling if it's digital.

Thanks

2. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

The brands Rane, Ashley, and DBX come to mind..... But I can't think of any specific model at the moment. TC Electronic had a programmable digital one years ago also.... 1140?

Wizard of Ozz and Kyle Jordan like this.
  3. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Find a used TC Electronic 1128 with the green replacement screen. The blue screens they originally came with fade and can't be seen.

It's a fully analog, digitally controlled by MIDI graphic EQ with 1/3 octave per band unit with selectable Low and High Cuts, and Low and High Shelving options. You can use the unit as a precise Graphic EQ or in a more Parametric fashion. It's also the best sounding EQ I've ever owned in that it's always pleasant when you use it, but transparent. It just becomes a part of the tone, not an additional layer on top.

Here's a link to the manual.

http://www.nordicsales.dk/imgdb/docs/TC1128_995.pdf

There's also the TC EQ Station. I have no experience with this, but will own one one day.

https://www.tcelectronic.com/Catego...qualizers/EQ-STATION/p/HE055#googtrans(en|en)

BSS has one current and one discontinued offering you might be interested in.

https://bssaudio.com/en-US/products/fcs-966

31-band Constant Q Graphic EQ with lots of options.

https://bssaudio.com/en-US/products/fcs-926

This is the discontinued unit, but looks incredible. Mono, it has 12 bands of parametric EQ that you can take all the way down to a 0.1 octave Q. It's analog with digital control like the 1128 too.

Something else to consider would be an Axe FX II now that prices are dropping. You can use multiple blocks of filters, Parametric, and Graphic EQs to really hone in on what you're after. It'd be nice if Cliff would offer a 31 band Graphic or a Choose Your Own Bands Graphic, but no dice so far.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 1:11 PM
  4. JediMasterThrash

axe is probably the direcion i'm looking, though that might be a bit overkill.

Basically with editing SW you can get the nice high-Q notch filters and edge filters. I'd just like a rackmount EQ (or even some kind of stompbox like device I could control over USB) that lets me create EQ shapes like the following:

[​IMG]

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I used to throw a 31-band DBX eq in the loop of my old Triple Rectifier. High and low pass, adjustable boost/cut range, and a bypass button. Not sure how tight the Q was, but with 31 bands there it has to be a good bit better than something like a GE-7.

Doesn't hurt that they're dirt cheap used, too. I got mine for like $40 on the Guitar Center used section

USMarine75 likes this.
  6. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Sounds like you want a rack mount Baxandall EQ. Do those exist?

7. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

Came in to say exactly this.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  8. sotos

sotos SS.org Regular

9. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

That would have even less control. That is in the opposite direction, lol.

10. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I never thought about buying an Axe-FX just as an EQ, but that would work well! The strong amount of EQs is one reason I love the Axe over other modelers. Get out of here with your weak-ass EQs Line 6, lol.

As the Axe is getting older, I have thought about it's use as a mod-delay-reverb-gate-EQ effects box for other drive-preamp units.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  11. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I do this a lot actually. It’s in the loop of my amps (apart from my recto on account of the recto’s dry bleed) and I use it between preamps and my power amp as well when I want to use a preamp pedal. And I also use it as a clean channel for when I want to use a distortion pedal like the be-od.

I costed it out once and for the cost of a used axe FX II, if I wanted to reproduce the reverb, delay, eq, and gate in pedals, I wouldn’t be saving that much and would probably have overall worse quality effects. Presumably the Standard/Ultra’s eq’s and effects are also still good quality.

I actually think I may have thought of a workaround for my rectos loop also, as i want to have some reverb and delay but I also like to use an eq in the loop to tame the high end. Once my parts arrive I’ll build a little signal splitter/blend box, set the axe FX to 100% mix, and just blend it in with that.

12. JediMasterThrash

Yes, that Rane PE-15 has 0.03 octave Q option, that's definitely good for my needs. Expanding my search, I also foudn the DBX 555 is very similar 5-band with bandwidth adjustable downto 0.03 octaves.

It seems strange that 99% of the time I find something that looks good, it's discontinued on the company website. In fact, on Rane, it says to replace the PE-15 with the HAL4, and then it takes you to the HAL4 page which says this is also discontinued, replace it with the HAL3s. Lol. It always seems like in the world of pro-audio these models don't last long.

I also find it interesting the DBX 555 carries the Prop 65 warning for some kind of chemical it must contain. It looks like it was just released in 2016 so I wonder if the Prop65 is the reason it was discontinued so fast.

The problem with most of these parametrics is they are single channel and I need stereo. The nice thing about the Behringer FBQ800 I have is that the single EQ control applies to two channels. If i get a 2-channel 31-band EQ I have to care to setup both channels the same. Or for a parametric I have to buy two of them, and also set them both up the same.

I wondered if a de-esser might give the notch filtering, but it seems they cost quite a bit for what to me seems to be just a subset of parametric EQ capabilities.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  13. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yeah, every time I looked for analog rack EQ, it seemed like the best choices were made 20 years ago. I think they have just quit making most of them in favor of digital multi-function boxes, like the ones Behringer makes.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  14. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

My Axe/Matrix rack is on the other side of the room as my other gear, so I never combine it with other gear. It is a PITA to get to the back of the rack. I will say that since getting the Behringer FCB1010 last month, it has definitely rekindled my love of it. Instead of messing with tweaking, I set up one nice preset with a midscooped 5153 with 5 scenes of various effects, and a wah and delay/reverb mix on the pedals. It is a lot of fun to just play.

I keep thinking about picking up something like an old Intelifex (I have been buying old cheap gear lately just because I can, lol), but it seems kind of silly with the Axe. I have been buying some delay and chorus pedals and such though, because I find that to be a different experience than the Axe. I actually have a Caline Time Space and Snake Bite in the loop of my Recto at the moment.

Yeah, I had a Standard before the II, and the EQs are similar... just less types. The effects had similar quality, but the main difference is they did not have the types yet. Like where you can select analog chorus, digital chorus, CE-2 chorus, etc..... they didn't have those yet.

15. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Good to hear the fcb1010 is working for you. Still on the stick eprom?

Luckily my amps, cab, and rack are just across one wall, and the rack is near the corner at an angle so I can lean around and get behind it easy to move plugs. But the axe FX has so many ins and outs that I set them up and haven’t moved them since. I really only go back there to move speaker cables around.

16. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yeah, using this software:

http://host.mtnsys.com:81/faq-fcb/PCEditorBeta.htm

You can program it to pretty much do anything with the stock EPROM. The only annoying thing I have found is that only the last LED lights up, so it can be annoying for FX toggle since the LEDs don't match with what is actually on. That is one reason I went with Scenes instead. However, not a big deal for home wanking. I haven't found anything it can't do besides the LEDs though.

Mine is at the back of a corner desk, but it is in a deep SKB case, so it is hard to actually reach the plugs. I have considered getting a smaller case for it since it takes up so much room. I think the case I have is 19" deep. I have OUT1 going to some monitors I rarely use, and OUT2 (the loop) going to the Matrix.

mnemonic likes this.
  17. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Really?
    A Baxanall EQ lets you choose the frequency you want to boost or cut and control the bandwidth to make it wider or narrower. And a low and high shelving filter and you’ve got a simple EQ with a lot of control... Right?

18. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I think you are thinking of a Parametric EQ.

A Baxandall EQ is just 2 knobs, low and high, and they are basically shelving filters. Think the Hi/Lo knobs on a Sansamp pedal. It is basically just a 2 band EQ that gives you like Resonance/Presence.

19. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Oh! I had my definition wrong. I stand corrected

Shask likes this.
  20. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Peavey has a whole range of rack EQs for cheap.