Recommend me some awesome literature

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by bpprox22, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

I just started Science Set Free by Rupert Sheldrake and so far I'm enjoying it. It's has some really interesting perspectives on how dogmatic belief in science is detrimental to discovery.

2. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

Very interesting. I enjoy books that tell a story, but I also want books that make me think about real issues from different angles.

3. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Mark Twain
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

4. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I HIGHLY suggest some OG Sherlock Holmes. You won't be dissapointed

5. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Just narrowing it down to fiction I've read recently that I can recommend:

* Ringworld by Larry Niven (scifi)
    * Hyperion by Dan Simmons (scifi)
    * absolutely everything by Thomas Ligotti (existential horror; the modern HP Lovecraft)

And I'm currently most of the way through the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I grew up in Maine and he was sort of a friend of the family, so I inevitably read almost all of his stuff. Most of his "horror" doesn't really do much for me, but when he veers outside that genre I think he's actually at his best. I held off starting the Dark Tower series for a long time (people were worried that he'd die before finishing it), then forgot about it. Now they're doing a film adaptation though so I figured I ought to read it first. I'd say it's easily some of his best (up there with The Stand).

6. sawtoothscream

sawtoothscream SS.org Regular

Lone survivor , blew through that book fast.

American sniper was good as well.

Tried reading the shinning but it's extremely slow and couldn't get I to it.

7. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

UPDATE:

As I mentioned before, I am going to keep this thread as my motivation to actually complete books and give my opinion on them.

Zen and the Art of Happiness by Chris Prentiss = DONE

- This book was mainly about changing your perspective on events, particularly bad ones. The idea is that you need to believe every thing that happens to you is the best thing that could've happened and will ever happen to you. I'll admit, at face value that statement seems like a load of ...., but after reading the book, I can appreciate the value in it. I typically approach all of life's situations with a calm, positive attitude anyways but this just gave me more insight as to why it is important to do so. I am going to be looking more into Zen and Meditation for fun :)

The Picture of Dorian Gray = Started
    - I have only started reading this book (3rd chapter) but am really getting into it. So far, the style of writing is not what I am use to but it still provokes the stories imagery in my mind -- which to me indicates good writing. I think I dig the suspenseful/dark feeling it's giving me.