Recommend me an acoustic....

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Vinchester, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Vinchester

Vinchester SS.org Regular

***UPDATE : This thread has been transformed into a NGD :D

Tanglewood Sundance TW15NS
    Solid Spruce top
    Solid Mahogany side/back
    1-pc mahogany neck
    rosewood fretboard
    Grover tuners
    SATIN FINISH
    pretty good spec and sound for £499 :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

i'm not sure what is available in UK,
    but because acoustics are so different from guitar to guitar, and because thats where tone and wood REALLY matter, in the end, it all comes down to personal taste.

if you can maybe narrow down what kind of features you're looking for, or what kind of tone, or what acoustic artist inspired you to pick up an acoustic.

i would suggest going to a guitar store, trying out every guitar that comes your way.
    try one with a maple top, or back, or side, or all 3
    try one with cedar top, or back, or side, or all 3
    try one with sitka spruce top
    try one with mahogany
    try different necks
    try different nuts
    try different mic/peizo/pickup systems
    try different boards (ebony, rosewood, or in rare occasions, maple) etc etc....

see what speaks to you!

3. drenzium

drenzium SS.org Regular

Look into Maton acoustics :)

4. Vinchester

Cheers mate, yeah indeed I need to hit the stores. This is going to be an interesting weekend :p

If I have to narrow it down... Would want one WITHOUT the electronics inside (just had a useful tip that condenser mics are way better) and my favourite acoustic musician is Pain of Salvation (esp. their 12-5 acoustic live album)

Anyway I'm reading into the different types of wood tops now. Will try them out for myself soon!

5. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

Look at Seagull. They make great acoustics for decent prices.

6. mhickman2

mhickman2 The Abiding Dude

I'm looking to get another acoustic. I'm really intrigued by breedloves and parkers. I will say if you ever have the chance to try the yairis they are insane. Definitely the lowest action I've ever experienced on an acoustic. I had the dy-95 and sold it. I really want a cutaway though.

7. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Just going to help your GAS a little..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Everyone should start out on acoustic. It shocks me that there are people who had electrics before they had acoustics.

Is my opinion colored by my personal experience?

Absolutely.

If and when I con a woman into having my child and that child wants to play the guitar, he's learning on an acoustic.

AND IT WILL BE A HE.

9. Bones43x

Bones43x Head Banger

Ha, it doesn't work that way. And probably since you said that, you'll have a girl. Girls are awesome!

Back on topic...I've been GASing for an acoustic also. I haven't really played around on any, but on paper, I think I'm leaning toward an Ovation Balladeer. I need to find a place to play one though.

10. snowblind56

snowblind56 SS.org Regular

If you've never played one, shy away from an Ovation. They are great guitars, but they are basically stage guitars meant to be played standing. When you sit down and play one, because of the plastic(tupperware) back, they slip off your leg. It's rather annoying.

11. Bones43x

Bones43x Head Banger

It would be played standing up on stage as well as sitting at home. I'm really after something with a slim neck and body and around $700.

12. Vinchester

In fact that was exactly what I did mate. When I started out I borrowed a friend's Yamaha and played/took lessons with it for a year before investing in my electric gear. I have some experience in finger style and flamenco on classical guitar too :hbang: That also explains my bond with the instrument - I always love the acoustic sound and find playing acoustic songs very refreshing.

I'm quite intrigued by an Ovation. I have tried some before and I'm alright with their curved back. Wonder where can I find one in Cardiff :nuts:

13. GuitaristOfHell

GuitaristOfHell The Optimist Prime.

Not sure when it comes to UK prices, but check out some lower end Taylors, or some higher end Takamines.

14. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

check out crafter if you're liking breedlove. im pretty sure crafter makes breedlove, but for whatever reason, breedlove got more famous.

but yeah, i got a crafter SA-rosewood, and its the best built guitar i've every had. very impressive!

idk...though i see the advantages of starting off with the acoustic such as more strength and better calluses, however, that doesn't work for everyone. some people have weaker fingers, or thinner skins, so starting off on an acoustic can be torturous to the point where it becomes very un-motivational to pickup a guitar.

at the same time, electrics in my opinion are far more versatile than acoustics. granted you may need an amp with it, but either way, more tweeking of the sound.

15. The Hollow Man

The Hollow Man SS.org Regular

I started out on a $50 pawn shop acoustic that had mile-high action and was so badly intonated you couldn't play a chord (didn't know any better, just got the cheapest one). If it hadn't been for my friend loaning me his Squier, I wouldn't still be playing guitar 13 years later. And I mostly played that electric 'acoustically' in order not to bother anyone in the house. Easier to fret notes, and you can still hear yourself. My $.02

I had a Walden that I really liked but recently upgraded to a Breedlove C25 that I love. One of the best acoustics I've played/heard.

16. Vinchester

Okay men, case closed. Today is my NGD !! :D

After trying 7-8 guitars, the finalists are two Tanglewood - and I ended up picking the dreadnought TW15 NS. Spruce top, mahogany side and back. Satin finish. £499. What a deal!

Big thanks to the sales at Gamlin store, Cardiff for being very helpful and even gave me a nice gig bag and some strings for free.

Pics tomorrow when there's some good sunlight. Now excuse me I'm going to make love to my brand new FIRST acoustic <3

17. Dead Undead

Dead Undead Thundercrafter

Aw, shit. I was too late to give my very biased opinion.

Can't wait for pics.

18. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I've sold quite a few of these, they're very nice guitars. Good necks, very easy to get along with.

I'm just glad you didn't buy a low end taylor, they suck for the money, you can do so much better!

Happy NGD

19. Vinchester

*drumrolls

pics are up now!

20. GuitaristOfHell

GuitaristOfHell The Optimist Prime.

Nice choice :yesway:, I'd personally like a cutaway for my acoustic but that's one hot acoustic. Congrats and enjoy! :D