Recommend me a barbell?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by MoshJosh, Nov 21, 2015.

1. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

So I've been getting in to weightlifting over the last 6 months or so, and recently been getting into what I think is considered Olympic style lifting i.e. cleans, clean and jerks, power cleans ext. . . only problem is I'm having trouble sneaking practice for these movements(something I'm in desperate need of) into my regular routine, so now I'm thinking about getting a barbell for some at home practice.

This is just for fun, I'm not trying to be a pro, or compete, so I'm not looking to spend a ton of cash, but I'd still like a passable bar, so what do you recommend?

So far all I have looked at are the Rogue Fitness eco and beater bars because Rogue is really the only brand I know haha

2. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

The main thing (especially for those of us not blessed with bear-paw hands) is the gripping diameter.

I've been using my thicker cheapo (30ish-mm) wieder bar for cleans because it rotates alright, but I much prefer the thinner "skinny bars" for oly lifting.
    I have another cheapo bar that's skinny that i use for pressing, but it's ends lock-up sometimes and I really don't feel like blowing my wrist.

Looks like the Pendlay 28mm bar might be the way we should go. Plus it's made to rotate:lol:. The Rogue bar looks to be 29mm, so not a huge difference.
    Just stay away from the thicker powerlifting/squat bars unless you have monster-grips.

edit; and also, if you haven't already, consider buying some basic low/medium$ wrestling shoes.
    Ultimately for high-level Olympic lifting they use elevated heels, but unless you're catching the weight in the full front-squat position then they're really not needed.
    The wrestling shoes really help get the feet and calves into the jump, and if you're like me and catch the weight no lower than half-squat then you have no need for true weightlifting shoes.
    I prefer the wrestling shoes for about all my lifting these days, they help protect the back on deadlifts, squats, cleans, even barbell curls IMO.;

3. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

A good bar will last you forever, don't cheap out on it.

I use the Rogue Power Bar. They do have a bar specifically for Olympic lifting as well.

Texas Strength Systems are also a good bet for affordable yet quality bars.

4. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Pendlay or Rogue. 28mm for Oly lifting.
    Get some oly lifting shoes, they do make a difference IMO (you don't need 200$ Adipower, but some 70$ or 120$ for Do-wins or Adidas Power Perfect are money well spent).

And enjoy the world championship going down this week in Houston: the time difference is killing the joy out of it for me, but you don't have this issue!

5. Ebart

Ebart SS.org Regular

+1 on the Pendlays...they are spendy, but nice.
    And just like others are saying, good bars are not cheap, and cheap bars are not good. You'll easily feel the difference between a crap bar and a good one...just spend the bucks...you're gonna end up doing it eventually, so might as well get the right bar the first time...I wish I had someone to tell me this years ago...hahahaha

6. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Not much warning here sorry, but at midnight CST on espn2 is a replay of the weightlifting world-championships from Houston TX, that's in about 30 minutes from now.