Recommend CNC machine/router

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by kindsage, Sep 13, 2018.

1. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I’m looking for a CNC machine to make guitar necks and bodies and possibly bass necks in the future.

I believe 16” X 24” cutting area would cover all but, longer bass necks.

I only plan to cut wood but, being able to cut aluminum too would be GREAT.

Z travel doesn’t need to be too large.

Here’s the kicker though, it’s got to have an automatic tool changer.

The more rigid the better.

What are my options under $30k?

I would like to spend under $15k but, after shopping around I’m starting to think that’s not going to be possible.

2. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

kindsage likes this.
  3. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

4. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Laguna makes some darn-nice stuff. I didn't even know they made CNC, but their other woodworking power shop tools are usually about as good as the equivalent Powermatic...and bonus points for not being that awful yellow color. ha! I'm lusting over one of their band saws, but...yea...not gonna happen. I'll have to suffer with my bench-top Ryobi for a few more years. :)

kindsage likes this.
  5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

I'm curious, why the need for the ATC? That's a serious upgrade. I don't know how experienced you are - perhaps you are just aware that you'll need to change tools (of course) and think that an ATC is required to do it well? You can get Z measuring probes to do it manually - about a 30 second job. This will knock thousands off the cost generally speaking. That Laguna is packing some serious value though! ATC isn't usually a concern unless you're looking to setup a serious production chain where time and automation are critical for profit. Obviously it's nice to have, but just thought I'd say this in case you weren't aware.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    kindsage likes this.
  6. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

I have a shapeoko 3xl. It's not very hard to change tools. I split all tool changes into separate operations and just re-zero my Z

With that said. Any of the Laguna machines should do what you want. That's my next upgrade

kindsage likes this.
  7. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Oh i know i don’t need atc to make one off guitars for my own sake. The goal is to be able to pump out bodies and necks quickly.

Long term goal is to make great guitars for a living.

Winspear likes this.
  8. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

if you are trying to just pump them out quickly, use an OEM Factory like WMI or something.

Unless you have a workforce behind you, you are still just 1 person. Even if you can machine a body in 1 hour, there is still substantial hand work that has to be done. With my cheap hobby machine i can make a body tha'ts about 1 hour of fine detail work away from finish sanding in 4 hours of machine time.

9. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

4 hours? Super small step over with the ball end mill for countours I’m assuming?

And the factory idea sounds very logical but, i feel like there would be an undesirable disconnect between me and the product. I might be wrong but something feels off about having an OEM make most of the product.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  10. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

Yes I have the cnc machine do all the carving on the guitar. I use a .01" step over at 150 ipm. It can take a while lol