Recommenations for Ibanez-based Body Blanks

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Vyn, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Title says it all. Looking at doing an Iceman 7 string using a Prestige 7 neck, just wondering who would be the best to get the body blank from and if they offer custom routes.

Spoiler, it's going to be Matt/weathered black with a single bridge pickup because I worship Meshuggah too much.

jwade likes this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Perle is just about the only option left.

3. projectjetfire

projectjetfire Guitar Addict

Whats the opinion on Perle?

4. MaxOfMetal

I've purchased a couple bodies and necks from him, all in-stocks. The quality is good and the prices are very fair.

I've heard he can be a little hard to get a hold of via email sometimes and his build times, even for raw bodies and necks, can be on the longer side, which is why I bought in-stock stuff off of eBay and Reverb.

Finish wise, his solid color stuff is professional, but I can't say I've been impressed by his swirls. They're not terrible swirls, and functionally they're well done, but he's no Herc Fede.

5. projectjetfire

projectjetfire Guitar Addict

That makes sense. Only problem I would have is Im in the uk so a cheap body may end up expensive due to import taxes etc. As PGM301s are a rarity I may just have to wait rather than build one but good to know its a viable option

6. MaxOfMetal

You're looking at about $150 for the body, unfinished, even if shipping and taxes adds $100 (~66%) it'll still be a good deal as its hard to find decent fixed bridge RGs for that much.

7. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

My FR7 in my avatar is from Perle, top notch stuff, no complaints whatsoever.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire self-appointed sso pickup tester

perle makes good stuff. the only other company I've seen trying to sell replacement bodies is supratone, but they mostly make rg bodies.

9. MaxOfMetal

Those Supra-Tone bodies seem pretty sketch. I'm sure they'd be fine, but look to need a good amount of work vs. the Perle stuff. It's not very reassuring that they don't have any idea about neck pocket specs.

I'd still be interested to see how they are in person. For the price, if an RG7-ish body comes up I might give it a go.

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire self-appointed sso pickup tester

yeah i haven't looked into them too closely, i was more interested in some of their tele bodies. i only mentioned supratone because i saw the tab on their site for rg bodies

11. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Thanks for the input guys! There's a couple of Perle's 7 string Iceman bodies on eBay that interest me, now just to source the neck which I think is actually going to be the harder part as most Prestige necks have rosewood boards...

12. movingpictures

movingpictures SS.org Regular

I’ve bought a couple from Perle, they were nice, 2 piece, relatively light weight, and routing was on point. No major issues fitting Ibz parts on them. They are rough(250 grit?), so additional sanding is required

13. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

UK, just buy a cheap RG and paint it.

14. snowblind56

snowblind56 SS.org Regular

I just bought one of his swirled jazz bass bodies. Seems to be top notch and the swirl I got was really good. His swirls tend to vary drastically and at least to me, the bass bodies usually have the better swirls compared to the other body shapes.

Regardless, you aren't going to find a better option that has a high quality CNC'd body with a decent swirl paint job. $200ish is an amazing price even if you need to clear coat it. mai-guitar on ebay occasionally has decent bodies but from what I have heard the quality is iffy and the bodies need work to fit.

15. MaxOfMetal

Yeah, the actual swirl job is very well done technically, no doubt about that. I just haven't seen one I'd buy yet, and I've been looking for years now.

Even his better swirls aren't great, and ho-hum swirls are kind of a no-go for me.

Obviously folks who are less picky and just really want a swirl will be over the moon with his work.

I will say, I think they're getting better, and more consistent. That blue/yellow/purple batch he has up now are very consistent.

16. snowblind56

Definitely, ho-hum swirls are a no go, but quite a few of his just aren't good. They aren't melted ice cream bad that a lot of the amateurs try to sell, they just aren't good swirls.

This is the swirled bass body that I bought and it was pretty much the best one out of all his bodies for sale at the time, regardless of shape. And for $200, it's hard to find an unfinished body that's decent for that price.

https://imgur.com/a/YN2ACmI

17. snowblind56

Granted, this is for a bass project I'm doing. I'm not sure if I would have gone for this for a main player guitar. I'd likely be more picky for that...

18. MaxOfMetal

His color choice is solid, but he seems to be afraid of letting everything swirl together. I know it's risky letting it sit longer, and I'm sure he'd have to charge more if it took multiple attempts, but his swirls come out more like brush strokes in shape and color distribution.

There are really early MKRs that suffer from this. They came out more blotchy than streaky though.

I'm not knocking that bass you bought. I'm sure it'll look badass put together. For ~$200 it would have been crazy to pass on if you dig it.

19. snowblind56

For as many as he's done, you'd think he'd have it down, but there's everything from garbled messes to decent swirls and I'd rather have a brush stroke-like swirl rather than a blotchy garbled mess. I went with the one I did because it's decent and I could barely drive down to the lumber mill, buy lumber, route my own body, and then paint it for the price I got it for.

He's no Herc Fede or OOTS, but his price reflects it. It really is an art form that few have mastered. The ones below are various forms of meh, but he's better off trying to sell them as is rather than strip and repaint them.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014327&icep_item=122326425011
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014327&icep_item=122056497704
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014327&icep_item=113245786090
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014327&icep_item=123256919399

20. MaxOfMetal

That black and white bass and purple and black Strat are actually pretty good. Some of his better work, in my opinion.

I think he should try the "swirl over swirl" thing on the more plain ones. Some of the most unique MKRs were "do over" jobs, the so-called "sewer swirls" that almost have a watercolor quality to them.