Recent video game purchases...

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Vince, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Vince

Vince Contributor

ESPN NBA 2005 (Xbox)
    Great game, maybe the best basketball game ever. I loved their NFL game that came out earlier this year, I thought it easily dwarfed the Madden series. This NBA game is fantastic, the player models, the animations are all fantastic. The play control isn't as arcade-style as the EA sports NBA games, it's more refined and harder to play. Definitely more rewarding too if you know what you're doing. The team chemistry feature is nice too, as players will come to you during a season, and ask you questions about where they fit on the team...sometimes complaining about playing time or what not. How you react to that changes your team chemistry and in-turn your team's in game performance. Of course, I use the Suns, so I'd kill all of you's in this game :)

Half-Life 2 (PC)
    The prettiest game ever, yet as a FPS it's remarkably bland. I'm about halfway through this game right now, and I think it's absolutely beautiful, but quite frankly I'm burned out on FPS games. I think the best FPS games are those that really let you branch out... Chronicles of Riddick has you going through RPG levels and also included hand-to-hand fighting, puzzle solving, and stealth...the Jedi Knight games mixed FPS with force powers and swordfighting. HL2 has nothing even close to that. There's very few puzzles, and aside from the seriously cool gravity gun, there's nothing really new here. Mind you, I still really like the game, but I think they could've done more with the gameplay aspect of it. The physics are top notch, and the gunning in the game is phenomenal... the target reacts as you think it should when you hit it in certain places. That's great.

Prince of Persia 2: Warrior Within (Xbox)
    Big improvement over Prince of Persia. The first game had a dark and moody theme, wrapped in cartoonish Aladdin graphics. This one sheds the Aladdin graphics, and becomes what the POP series was meant to be. I really love this game. The puzzle solving is the best in gaming, period. It's so fun flinging yourself around these HUGE rooms. The fighting is much improved over the first game's tedious fights, and while it's no Ninja Gaiden, it's fun and addictive. Overall this is the best new game I've played in awhile. Lots of fun, lots of gore, and great great music. The bosses are challenging too, very challenging.

2. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

My most recent game purchase:
    2 weeks ago--Street Fighter ALpha 2 for my Sega Saturn.
    i'm old school. The only console systems i currently own are Neo Geo AES (the bigass cartridges! \m/)& Sega Saturn.
    Once i curb my universe addiction temporarily, i think i'll buy some more Neo Geo carts.

3. WayneCustom7

WayneCustom7 Paolo Contributor

Holy Crap, 7 strings and video games, my two favorite past times...anybody have LIVE? (hook me up-Razenstein) Although lately its been more guitar than gaming...I'm gonna wait for HL2 to come to the Box...that and Doom 3. I was thinking about gettin Vampire: Bloodlines for my PC, that looks like a deep RPG...I really miss RPG's...Morrowind pissed me off cause it kept crashing on my Xbox...I actually sold most of my games, now I really only have a few...here's a funny story. When Metallica came to town, a friend of the family asked if I would take their son to see Metallica...actually he picked me, I guess he thought I was cool, or hip since I plyed video games and rocked...so there I was a 38 yr old, hanging with this 18 yr old...and for the show he was sitting and I was standing and yelling Motherf*&^%$#, throwing my arms in the air, even though I'm not a huge fan...

4. macalpine88

macalpine88 SS.org Regular

the only 2 games i play are zelda ocarina of time and final fantasy 7. i did buy ace combat 5 but i traded it in for cds about 3 days after i bought it. ocassionally i like to play through some megaman games

5. kman

kman lllllll

Battlefield 1942 is a pretty sweet game for PC.

6. WayneCustom7

I'd like to see that one on the Box! I guess I can always lean on Call of Duty!

7. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Do you post on insaneguitar? I thought i just read that there..

8. macalpine88

:lol: no

9. The Rx Elite

The Rx Elite B-A-N-A-N-A-S!!!

Hell yeah, especially if you get the Desert Combat add-on. It may be a bad idea, as at first, I obsessed over that game for a month.

10. macalpine88

being the kind of person who craves violence, i think they should make a game were all you do is kill people and blow up buildings, fly planes and nuke people. sounds like fun. :D directed by quintin tarentino of course

few good games are all of the myst games, puzzle games are rightous :hbang:

11. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

"hello, my name is leon, i'm a videogame-aholic."

...so, i gave them up :D

hey, it leaves me lots of time for making sounds with my wood and wire collection ;)

12. macalpine88

:agreed: :lol: thats why i dont play that many games guitar withdraw is very common

13. Leon

have you not played GTA3? :D

14. macalpine88

actually, yes i have played a little bit of it, maybe one of these days ill sit down and beat it :scream2:

15. Leon

playing GTA3 isn't about beating the game, it's about beating people :lol:

16. Vince

Vince Contributor

*bump* :D

Actually, I'm getting seriously psyched for the new Star Wars movie. Recently, I can't stop playing Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, or Jedi Outcast. All three are just phenomenal games.

What other games have you guys been into lately?

For me, the ones I seem to play all the time right now are:

MLB 2k5 from ESPN
    NFL 2k5 (my 2007 cards team is 100 overall :D )
    Ninja Gaiden (I'm addicted to this sucker, how dare they make an action game this good!!)
    KOTOR (PC)
    Jedi Outcast (PC)
    Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
    Need for Speed Underground
    Voodoo Vince (yeah, yuck it up guys, it's a GREAT game)
    Half-Life 2

I'm really not that much into shooter games, especially if they're on a console. I bought Doom 3, played it for a few hours and got bored. Great graphics, now if only they didn't bury the graphics under intense shadows the entire game. I was tempted to get Resident Evil 4 for the Gamecube (I have GC, Xbox, and a killer PC), but honestly I'm getting sick of shooters. Half-Life 2 is the perfect shooter IMO and the only one I don't really get sick of. I got about halfway through Chronicles of Riddick and stopped out of boredom.

17. FoxMustang

FoxMustang SS.org Regular

I never finished KOTOR 1 - awesome game, but it seems like I never have the time to finish it off (when I play, I always end up playing it for like 3-6 hours).

I downloaded the demo for Republic Commando, and I think it pretty much rules. Hits my system pretty hard, though. About time for me to upgrade my rig again. (Oh yeah, I avoid playing 1st person shooters on consoles whenever possible, mouse look is ten times better than any console controller).

I've also been playing The Matrix Online for a couple weeks now, and having a pretty good time with it.

18. WayneCustom7

Currently I've been playing alot of Oddworld Strangers Wrath, its funny cause normally I don't have the patience for boss battles, yet in Stranger, I'm having insane fun...and I won't settle for the kill, I want the wedge for the live bounty...the game rocks.
    I'm also playing alot of Res Ev 4...the game is a huge improvement over previous Res Ev games, in fact over all surrvival horror games...this game also rocks.
    Half Life 2, FarCry, PainKiller and Vampire Bloodlines for the PC...when I have time...there's more but this keeps me going. I took most of the winter off from gaming, cause of my rediscovery of the guitar, but now I have settled back into the swing of things.

19. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

Almost done with Half Life 2 here. Friggin' great game.

I wish it wasn't quite so linear, and wish every FPS designer out there would take the time to play Thief 1-3 in their entirety to see what a REAL FPS should be (the stealth engine is the absolute pinnacle of FPS play, imho).

HL2 is fun, but I hate the fact that if I walk into a room with 5 enemies, all 5 immediately know I'm there and start shooting at me. It's like Doom with better graphics. Thief's (splinter cell does this too I believe) engine with the light-sources, sound, and the fact that the guards have to actually SEE you to shoot you - really much better gameplay.

20. Vince

Vince Contributor

Chris, it's funny you mention that. While playing Ninja Gaiden, sometimes I think the character should be thinking "Hey, maybe I should use stealth to get through here."

Of course he never does :D