Reccomend a decent DLSR for around $400

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by spilla, Mar 12, 2015.

1. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

Compromises are always going to be made, besides the 18-55 is junk anyway :lol: sell it and get a lens with an aperture ring (ie 50mm f/1.8D).

2. spilla

spilla SS.org Regular

Thanks for bringing that up guys. Ill be getting a 50mm 1.8D so i should be fine using the PK13. Though i do like the looks of the Kenko kits. The one i checked out had 3 different extensions and a video i watched with them had a guy use all three extensions to get a really closeup macro. Handy if need be.

I will still be getting a 18-55 as its only an extra $20 and i can see it being useful. Just about ready to make the purchase. Ive found an ebay store that has refurbished camera/lenses that come with a 1year warranty for the camera and a 2 year warranty for the lenses.

3. spilla

spilla SS.org Regular

One more thing before I purchase the D3200. Can I use the Nikon 50mm 1.8D AF or do I have to get the Nikon 50mm 1.8G AF-S?

Edit: ok, from what I can tell I can use the 50mm 1.8D AF but I won't have auto focus. Is this correct?
    Edit2: I think I'm just going to get the G, auto focus will be handy and people seem to prefer the G over the D. Will be going a bit over budget though. Any concerns/things I should be thinking about?

4. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

I always forget which bodies lack the AF motor. You should be fine, but there won't really be a cheap macro option.

5. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

None I can think of. Apparently the G is a bit sharper at wider apertures, too. :yesway:

6. spilla

spilla SS.org Regular

So i bought a D3200 in great condition and its only a few months old. It has 50 shutter actuations and came with a 50mm 1.8G but not a 18-55mm. Should turn up next week. Cant wait to start taking some pics with it! Thanks for all you help guys!