Reaper Recording Help

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by ThePIGI King, Aug 6, 2017.

1. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Death Will Reign

Hey everybody,

I bought a vocal mic today and wanted to try and record some sample vocals, but all of my recordings are very "poppy" and "crackle" the entire time. I've read that some people are able to change the buffer settings to fix this, but whether mine be at 128 all the way through 2048, nothings seems to help.

My setup is: Mic > Scarlett 2i2 > Reaper
    When I direct monitor my mic through my 2i2, it sounds crystal clear, but the moment I play it back through reaper, it's all messed up.

Any and all help appreciated!

2. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

I'm assuming you're running Windows 7/8/10? Sounds like you could have a latency problem.

First, make sure you have the latest version of Focusrite's 2i2 ASIO driver installed from their website. Make sure to run the installer WITHOUT the interface plugged in first. Then plug the interface in afterward. Check in your device manager and make sure that you see:

Focusrite Audio
    • Scarlett 2i2 USB
    • USB Audio Root
    and that everything has drivers properly installed and don't show any errors.

If that's all done, then go download this tool to help figure out if any drivers or devices are causing DPC Latency spikes in your system:
    http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

It's freeware, and it's a safe download.

Certain versions of drivers for any number of things: network adapter, graphics card, etc. can sometimes have some nasty interactions with various parts of your system and cause problems. If you've never updated your Chipset/INF drivers, that tends to help things significantly, because it will change the drivers that interact between Windows and the USB controller on your motherboard. Consider updating your BIOS to the latest version as a final idea for a more drastic fix.

Also, if you're on a laptop running WiFi, it's usually best to turn it off when you're recording. WiFi radios will almost always cause latency spikes, no matter what driver they're running.

Carl Kolchak likes this.