Reaper is clipping and I can't figure out why

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by will_shred, Aug 3, 2018.

1. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

So this is pretty important because its for a job I actually got paid for. Reaper is clipping all over the place on one song, except its not showing anywhere on the master or and other fader. I'm getting lots of clicks and pops and I can't for the life of me figure out why, every other song we recorded is fine except for one.

2. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Did you listen through all individual tracks to identify the root cause?
    Is it possible that it happened during recording or did you already mix the tracks before this issue occured?

3. will_shred

NEVERMIND I figured it out. The sample rate I recorded at was lower than the sample rate I was playing back on my desktop.

Edit: that wasn't it. It doesn't clip from my laptop where I recorded it but it does clip on my desktop.

Edit again: SO I don't really know what was wrong, it was probably a botched file transfer because it seems to be fixed now that I deleted the project from my computer and basically redid the file transfer from my laptop. Everything is alright now.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

That's good. :lol:

My first guess was some sort of sample rate issue, second was your buffering settings.

will_shred likes this.
  5. will_shred

So i'm still getting mild popping, but the weird thing is that its random. I thought it might have been the virtual tape machine and removing all instances of it did seem to reduce but not eliminate it. By random I mean, I heard that one section had a pop in it, I played the same section over again and the pop was gone, but now a different section pops, and so on. So its not an issue with the recording itself. Whats that about the buffer size?

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Buffer size basically determines how much of the audio gets "loaded" before playback. Higher buffer settings can lead to latency while recording, but lower buffer settings can lead to audio dropouts and popping on playback.

The only other time I've had issues with popping was during very long sessions in a very hot room, I've found my (rackmounted) Apogee Ensemble will occasionally pop or click during operation when it gets too hot.