Really Old Ambient, Electronica-y Track

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Oxidation_Shed, May 13, 2012.

1. Oxidation_Shed

Oxidation_Shed Nightman.

Hey guys, I just stumbled across a song I did many moons ago with an old band of mine. It was meant to be an intro to our EP that we never got around to finishing. Back then I was pretty diabolical at mixing but I thought I'd give it a bit of a face-lift as a practice for some more ambient stuff I'm working on and wanted to see what you guys think. This was the first really ambient, mellow track I'd ever done (we were a death metal band) and the outro was meant to fade out but waveburner crashed on me and I couldn't be arsed to redo it - it's also a bit quiet. Anyway, any feedback on the mix would be greatly appreciated, the composition isn't so important as I've come a way since those days.

Old Ambient Track by Oxidation_Shed on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Cheers dudes.

simulclass83 likes this.
  2. simulclass83

simulclass83 Yes, pancakes.

I dug the track, the only thing I might change is the tone of the guitar (?) in the beginning. I would make a bit more rounded/full. Overall sounds pretty damn good. Thumbs up from me.

Oxidation_Shed likes this.
  3. Oxidation_Shed

Oxidation_Shed Nightman.

Cheers man, the tapping clean guitar or the triplety-tremolo one?
    I was going for a spacy clean tone that didn't just sound like I'd match EQ'd the beginning of Concealing Fate and was a bit more abstract sounding - as well as trying to leave room in the low-mids for some pads - but I perhaps went a bit too far, I'll certainly bear it in mind to reign that in a bit next time.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

4. simulclass83

simulclass83 Yes, pancakes.

Tapping one, just a tad rounder might give it a smoother sound. But it sits in the mix near perfectly.

5. Oxidation_Shed

Oxidation_Shed Nightman.

Yeah that's unchanged from back when recorded it (I was abysmal at recording then) and I liked the way it sounded a bit different, but I'll definitely take your advice on board

Anyone else got anything to add?