Readjusting pick(plectrum) position in middle of performance?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Mvotre, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

So, I always seens to struggle with proper picking position. I can alternate pick fairly fast, OR sweep in what seens a ok speed if I train a bit. But changing from one technique to another always mess my pick position. I always thinked about it as a poor technique thing. But I was watching some fairly technical playing in YT (can't remember who it was), and the guy "fixed" his pick position a LOT!

So, any of you guys do that, or should i try to fix any improper thing and try to keep that bitch solid? It's fairly easy to readjust in some bend, or held note. By the way, I don't sweep that much...

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Yeah, it's something I never think I fiddle with too much, until I pay attention to how much I fiddle with my picking position. I guess it's sort of second nature to me at this point, though, not that I have any idea what I'm doing trying to sweep pick.

3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Do what you need to do to play the parts live.

Eptaceros likes this.
  4. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

My pick position shifts a lot depending on the parts I'm playing. It's not anything I've ever analyzed, though.

5. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

Back in my days of playing live, I used to sweat a lot on hot days and the pick would just randomly slip out of my fingers and fly away, so I started using those hybrid flatpick/thumbpicks... they worked like a charm and I still use them to this day. But you can't really change the position of the pick in real time using those.