Re-stringing floating bridge lo pro 7

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by bowkore, May 23, 2018.

1. bowkore

bowkore SS.org Regular

Got an RG7620, I'm familiar with restringing it 1 at a time so that I don't have to reset it up.

But if I have to take all the strings off, whats the best way to re-string so that its parallel to the body?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Block it in the proper position. Unlock nut. Remove strings. Install new strings. Stretch new strings. Tune. Lock nut. Adjust fine tuners as needed. Remove blocks. Adjust Springs as needed. Done.

setsuna7 and mpexus like this.
  3. bowkore

bowkore SS.org Regular

what do you guys usually block it with?

And when Im tuning it up and it pulls forward and away from what Ive blocked it up how do you guys combat against that? considering ive nearly screwed the springs into the body all the way

4. MaxOfMetal

I have a set of rubber blocks I made, but really almost anything works. Stacks of cardboard or index cards is popular. It doesn't need to be super rigid, just hard enough so the trem doesn't move, but soft enough so it doesn't mar the finish.

You have to block the trem from moving in both directions. So a block between the back of the trem's sustain block and the body of the guitar to prevent diving forward, and then a block under the body of the trem on the front of the guitar to prevent the trem from sinking backwards.

Always make sure that the trem is being blocked at the right angle. With a Lo-Pro you want the tops of the saddles parallel to the tops of the trem posts. Don't go by the base plate as it's meant to have an angle to it relative to the guitar top.

If you need more spring tension you can either adjust the configuration of the springs, such as the popular "/|\" configuration, add more springs if you're not already running three, or get stiffer "heavy duty" springs.

5. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

I usually put an AA battery between the trem and the cavity, works pretty well.
    You could add more springs to increase the pull. Or you make yourself fitting wood block, that stops the trem from moving in either direction while taking off the strings.

groverj3 likes this.
  6. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Are you restringing with the same string gauge?

If they're the same gauge, the guitar will settle to perfectly floating, you'll just need to keep tuning the strings until all 7 are perfectly in tune. If you've changed gauges then you'll need a different balance to the system to have it level (hence screwing in the trem claw screws)

I just block it with whatever to keep the trem mostly level.

7. bowkore

bowkore SS.org Regular

yeah I know to always use the same gauge since any added or reduced tension will affect its float then have to find the sweet spot with the springs.

So if I block the bridge from the front and the back use same gauge strings, it'll always sit perfect when I remove the cards or whatever I used to lock it in?

8. MaxOfMetal

Not necessarily. The new strings will need to be stretched a bit. New strings are a little stiff at first.

Though there are sometimes small inconsistencies in batches and accross brands.

As long as you block the trem at the proper angle and tune the stretched strings you should only have to make very minor spring adjustments.

9. bowkore

bowkore SS.org Regular

Ok Sweet that is good enough then, just trying to avoid those massive dips or pulls of the bridge that makes you wanna cry

10. MaxOfMetal

As long as you follow the steps I've posted, even changing string gauge or tuning, there will be no tears.

11. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Floyds can be pains, but just respecting and understanding how they work will make you come a long way.

You wouldn't be the first to shed a tear over a floyd, that's for sure.

12. bowkore

bowkore SS.org Regular

Also my action i want to drop down a tiny bit (just like a mm) only problem is that when I pull up on the bar strings will hit the frets and buzz out. is there a way around this?

13. MaxOfMetal

There's not really a work around for that, it's just physics. When you pull up, the trem sinks into the guitar and the saddles physically lower. Just like diving raises the strings.

The only trems that solve that issue are the Kahler units, where the saddles and moving parts are separate, and the Linear Trem which moves the saddles parallel to the string runs.

14. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

This is also my strategy on Floyd Rose-esque bridges. It's kind of funny how the AA is exactly the right size for the job :lol: