Re-Fretting my Douglas Hadron. Advice/suggestions??

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Skitzoification, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Skitzoification

Skitzoification Randall Die Hard

Alright guys, I'm having a hard time choosing some new fretting for my Hadron 727, since I'm pretty new to fretting and the whole Tone-Chasing trade, I'd like to ask one of you for some advice. The hadron In general has bad fretting to me, It has string buzzing In random but consistent spots, no matter what the action Is (I've already set up the floyd and adjusted the truss rod for A E A D G B E). :scratch: I want something that will help the strings become more snappy and produce more sustain, Wider/thicker and taller, But not TOO HUGE I don't want a set of 22 Parking Bars on my fretboard. :lol: Stainless Steel Is a plus, so I'm already set on that Spec.

-Thanks In Advance

P.S I can't really post a NGD yet, I have a shitty Camera Phone, Looking to get a real camera soon.

Munch and Empryrean like this.
  2. Empryrean

Empryrean Undecided forever

Wait, so you want frets to change the tone of your guitar? :scratch:

3. Skitzoification

sorry, I didn't really mean to come across as looking for a better tone, I was just trying to make the point I'm fairly new to the whole "Preference" adventure.lol

But I just want new frets that make the guitar strings have better, and more sustained response.

4. eddiewarlock

eddiewarlock SS.org Regular

why not just level the frets instead of replacing them?

5. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

^+ also if your not experienced you might shave off too much material. i say find a luthier and pay him to get it set up and playable. it'll be worth it. Stainless frets are a bitch in every way. yes they pay off but they destroy your tools and take forever to work with. luthiers charge a lot more also to put in SS frets

6. Skitzoification

Well I'm CERTAINLY not planning on doing it on my own, I just need A brand/model set to buy, and GIVE to the luthier to work with.

7. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

your luthier should have sources to buy fretwire from just give him the guitar and ask for a refret. he'll just include the price in your bill. just makes life easier.

8. Skitzoification

That sounds better, now that I think about it. I'll need the extra money for the job I guess. Now to find a Reasonable Quote from a Luthier. :scratch:

9. Munch

Munch Luthier

Hey man! I'd be happy to do a refret if you wanted me to. Here's my page on refret options and fees: Hampton Harmony

And a picture of my frets is here: http://hamptonharmony.com/orbthumb2.html

I don't know what your price range is but this is pretty standard for stainless. Also, I live in Santa Barbara, so I'm semi-close but you'd probably still have to ship the guitar or something.

10. Skitzoification

Wow, That's some pretty awesome work there man, You can send me a PM with a rate for Jumbo Stainless Steel Fretting If you want (I know that most businesses aren't comfortable with Quoting since Curiosity Is the door breaker). I'm going to be looking around still though, I'll get back to you on it.