(RARE) EMG 81 went dead

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by ImamAWibowo, May 29, 2012.

1. ImamAWibowo

ImamAWibowo SS.org Regular

Hello there, im new here :D My pickup is EMG 81* bought from my friend. after a year i want to adjust the level screws to get better clarity. i adjust the level screws until it touched the wood. the next thing happen is, my pup went dead. it sounded "trrrtt" even if i hit the string nothing happen. i already check all the wiring stuff with my luither, everything was fine. is this all about the ground ? please help me dude.. thx before

I'll upload some pics soon as possible

*It has no label and physically different with the ordinary EMG's

2. guy in latvia

guy in latvia SS.org Regular

Stupid question, but did you try a new battery?

3. Thrashmanzac

Thrashmanzac plays in 69/42

4. ImamAWibowo

im not stupid.. got a new battery. i also try to put my luither's EMG 81, it worked.

5. Rook

Rook Electrifying

This happened to me once, turned out something was shorting to the conductive cavity paint on the inside of the pickup route.

Check all your wires etc. If your luthier's one worked I'd consider getting in touch with EMG.

Have you tried the pickup in someone else's guitar?

Are all of the pins in tact and straight?

Are the screws that hold the PCB looking thing on the back of the pickup tight?

6. asilayamazing

asilayamazing SS.org Regular

i dont think emgs fail very often, and you mentioned ground ther is no ground needed on emgs. and what do you mean by its different?

7. The Only Factor

The Only Factor Banned

Hmmm... From what you described it sounds like you may have hit the pickup wire when trying to adjust the height. If your saying it hit wood, it more than likely wound up catching the cable.

Is the pickup a ring mount or direct (body) mounted? It's very uncommon that an EMG goes dead like this, but it does happen once in a blue moon...

8. ImamAWibowo

sorry for the late reply. it turned to be a FAKE EMG, that's the answer. Just bought new one, original EMG 81 which came with solderless stuff. Now everything is fine and better than before. last but not least, do not buy box-less EMG, i mean without box. Could be Fake EMG.

9. iloki

iloki SS.org Regular

How do you know it was a fake EMG? I'm curious, if there are any signs that point to it being fake, could help others from buying fake ones by accident.

10. ImamAWibowo

the logo is not good as it looks as the original. i mean, it's not well put. some are not straight, just printed on top... like my EMG. doesn't come up with the box. priced around 40 - 50$. i don't know if this type of EMG available worldwide. here, in Indonesia you could find those pups easily. Friend of mind said that those pups were taken from a guitar factory located in Mojokerto, but illegally.