Random thoughts thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by M3CHK1LLA, Sep 23, 2016.

1. ohmanthisiscool

ohmanthisiscool SS.org Irregular

on the car ride into work today I thought to myself " like how did humans figure out how to bake? or make wine? like who added yeast to liquid and let it ferment and was like 'if we wait long enough, this stuff will taste gross and make us sick, but it'll be cool bro trust me'? and did the guy add several other ingredients to several other batches and yeast+grapejuice was the most popular?" I'm just curious as to how humans discovered certain things. Is it all serendipitous? Trial and error? Pseudoscience that worked?

cwhitey2 likes this.
  2. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

in that though ^^ who was the first one who discover smoking? pot or tobacco.

like maybe one guy was walking down the forest and there was a fire and he liked the smell of it. Or used some of the leafs of that plant to have a fire and was like hey I dig the smoke..... but the question is, once he discovered that, how many other plants he tried to smoke in order to find out they didnt work?.

same could be said for tea, and dont get me even started on coffee

3. ohmanthisiscool

ohmanthisiscool SS.org Irregular

^ YESSS this is exactly what I mean. Like how do you take leaves off of a plant and dry them then crunch them up and put it inside a hollow tube and light the material on fire, then inhale the smoke from the other end of the tube? I mean im sure it was a gradual thing but still.

4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

well that comes later, I mean in order to make a nice fire you need dry wood/leafs, so they could have sniffed the smoke of the fire and take it from there and make it small enough till they figure it out they could "smoke" a bunch of rolled leafs. But how many other leafes out there they tried to smoke too?,

and maybe they chug some nice smelling leafs into hot wattter for a soup and tea was born. But how many other stuff they trow into a tea to drink.

but coffe??.... yeh lets grab these beans, dry them up somehow, crush them, chug them into watter, ignore the awfull smell, and drink some brown watter

5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Coffee's probably not a crazy stretch actually, they probably ate the beans and found them to be gross on their own; so then they may have possibly been added to a stew as an ingredient, and when the water became changed, it was easy to identify where it came from. Then the process was refined over time until what we currently know.

6. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

A very small amount of people operate at their full potential. The remaining people probably only use 30% of their potential and fill the rest of the time doing mindless, non-productive tasks. Imagine how many things can get done if that number is increased to even 75%. I can't remember where I read about this, but I think about it all the time whenever I am being lazy.

Demiurge likes this.
  7. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

^I'm torn on this line of thinking. Modern society affords us the luxury of having free time, and people use it in different ways. Some people veg-out and don't do productive things with any of their time, and other people beat themselves up over not being more productive with that time on top of what they already do. Of course, it's the latter people who feel worse: after working all day, making dinner, working-out, cleaning-up, etc. there's that twinge of guilt when collapsing on the couch with the remote in hand, "oh, I didn't compose my symphony today!!!" :lol: In a way, there's a benefit in having goals, being ambitious, but also not being too hard on ourselves.

bpprox22 likes this.
  8. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

That was very well put and I agree.

I find myself shifting between both the groups you described. On a good night, I usually have 4-5 hours of free time after working, cooking, and exercising. Assuming I have no other obligations, my productiveness is usually dictated by how good I felt about the day. If I had a great day and got a ton of work done, I feel motivated to get more done. If my day was shit, I'll usually tell myself to "veg-out" and relax.

It's kind of a push-pull thing because "relaxing" is supposed to take stress away but it usually ends up making me feel worse because I could've put that time toward something more productive. Likewise, doing productive tasks makes you feel good because you are accomplishing something. It doesn't matter how insignificant the task is, humans like feeling like they are getting stuff done. Even cleaning the kitchen gives me satisfaction because I did something.

I believe this is when people say the phrase "find a happy-medium".

9. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

reading this while at work :p

bpprox22 likes this.
  10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I suppose you could argue that the lack of motivation, or whatever drives a person to be unproductive (wanting/needing other things, to relax, recharge, let off steam, be entertained, etc) reduces or negates that potential in the first place, as opposed to saying we're just not using it. In other words, looking strictly at productive vs unproductive time isn't really a measure of a person's potential, since you'd probably burn out pretty quick if you tried to be entirely productive all the time. We call ourselves lazy pretty often, but I think that laziness serves a purpose. From that perspective, I think most healthy people are operating at pretty much their potential, since if they were doing otherwise, some other part of their life would be taking a hit. Work/life balance is important.

bpprox22 likes this.
  11. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I'm not sure if it's because I'm delirious after being awake for 28 hours but I fucking love you guys and this forum.

A-Branger likes this.
  12. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

and we love you too mate :)

13. narad

narad SS.org Regular

But leisure is an important part of sustainable productivity. The world doesn't get better if everyone burns out after 3 years of pushing their potential.

14. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

That's a nice way of looking at it :cheers:

15. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

Yeah I can agree with that. If I went 100% all day, everyday, I'd probably have to start a YouTube channel and become a motivational speaker.