Random thoughts thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by M3CHK1LLA, Sep 23, 2016.

1. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

so who else here has many "random thoughts" they ponder on a daily basis? good, bad, funny, dumb...post them up then comment on other posts.

this weeks random thought:

i was at a large gas station chain and saw them throw away 25-30 hotdogs/corndogs into the trash. i asked the lady why didnt they just give it to the poor. she said she hated to see the waste, but it was because of some dumb insurance/liability issues the company had...seems a lot of these corporations follow this policy.

why cant we feed the homeless/starving college students, etc the food that the all-you-can-eat buffets, gas stations & fast food places throw away? heck, just charge a $1...it would be some income, and once word got out, there would be a lot less waste.

just ration it so, whoever was in line could all get something to eat? keep it on for about 10-20 min past close or until it runs out. im sure im not the only one who has seen this and thought there would be a better way...

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I got annoyed a while back about popcorn bag size standards. Most microwaves have a "popcorn button" which is something like 2:15 on high, which worked well for a long time, but last time I got some bagged popcorn the bags were all too small and the 2:15 was too much, but without any indication on the box that they were any different. Seems like a bunch of popcorn bag options don't follow any standard at all. It's just random, or the options I had were, anyway. Why have a standard when nobody is going to follow it? The whole point of popcorn bags is that it's the simplest way for lazy people like me to get from buying it to consuming it. Now I have to overthink my lazy popcorn.

3. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Not sure why I keep telling myself I don't care when ....ty people say random crappy things to me, then get ass furious about it later on when I replay the scenario in my mind. I'm somewhere between not caring, and caring too much and I just want my mind to make up its goddamn mind. :lol:

Edika likes this.
  4. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

I got thinking over dinner last night with girlfriend about cosmology and the Newtonian gravity prism, and then realised I don't know nearly enough to accurately begin to answer or explore my own thoughts.

Given that Newtonian Gravity is used for cosmological calculations to create and interpret the existing cosmological model, and ones brought forward such as the Ekpyrotic cosmological model, does the confirmation of Einsteins gravitational waves mean Newtonian gravity can no longer be applied? Why was Newtonian gravity the "standard" when general relativity (albeit harder to use) provides more accurate data?

5. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Here's a random thought/rant: my sisters boyfriend is okay, he's sort of irritating and kinda plays guitar. Well he's got this telecaster that I know for sure is a MIM. It's in pretty bad shape, strings haven't been changed in probably over a year, the body is filthy, the steel hardware is very dull and worn out, a couple scratches here and there. So I text my sister and I'm like "see if he wants to sell it for 100 bucks", which I think is a pretty fair deal. She texts me back and apparently he says it has "a 64 fender body, a custom neck (?), custom pickups, grover tuners (which it definitely doesn't, I looked lol), and a custom neckplate (which is nothing more than a sticker over the stock plate). What the hell is a custom neck? I asked for specifics on how the neck and pickups are custom and all I got back was "he isn't selling it right now". Come on man, just tell me you don't want to sell it lol why try and bullsh!t me?

So I guess my random thought is why do people lie about the smallest stuff? Hahaha

6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

this is something I realised a few years ago:

When you are on a big city at night you see the center of the city and you see all the big buildings with lights on and you think "it looks pretty cool" as it does...

but....

If you think about it, all those buildings are office buildings. Meaning, there is no one in there at night. So, they turn on the lights of the offices in order to make a pretty city view, and thats it. There is no other function rather than make the city look pretty from the distance.

weird uh?

but even weirder is that, not every light is on. If you really notice, there is no pattern, just random lights on and off between floors, like if there was some people living there.

so who is the one who decides which light, in which floor, goes on and off? and when?

?

7. odibrom

odibrom .

... Those who are still working after-hours on those lighted up offices...??

8. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

I sometimes wonder why we can make music or do animals have morals.

9. FEcorvus

FEcorvus SS.org Regular

if they sell it all cheap or give it all away at the end of the day then no one will buy during regular hours, they will just wait and get it when it's cheap or free, since there isn't a real way to differentiate between people who can and can't afford it without stepping on customers toes and losing business

10. FEcorvus

FEcorvus SS.org Regular

dunno about morals but some species of corvids apparently have "court" systems

ohmanthisiscool likes this.
  11. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

that could be true for a few offices at a decent times. But not at 1am in the morning in every building.

Google any big city you want in a "xxxxx night city scape" and you would see them fully lid

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ I'd venture that in a large city with huge office buildings, each of those buildings has maybe a dozen companies in it, and each company likely has a significant number of people working. Even a small percentage of people staying late is potentially a lot of people. I'm just thinking out loud, but I could definitely see that just being lots of people staying late.

13. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

If Windows Task Manager shows "not responding" in the window bar (this actually happened at work), what do i use to close the Task Manager task?

First thought: That big round button on the front of the PC.

14. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

I swear I must be agoraphobic or something. I get this weird anxiety any time I need to leave the house. Like, if I have errands to do, I'll get ready and groomed up to go. But when it comes time to leave, I suddenly don't wanna go anywhere. I have no idea wtf is going on in my head.

15. endmysuffering

What about kangaroos? Are bad puns allowed here, otherwised I need to go into hiding.

16. endmysuffering

Same actually, maybe its just normal.

17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

the other day after spending a couple of days at a mate's house with his wife and their 2?-3? yr old daughter got me thinking...

those dumb kids songs, are they made that "simple" or dumb, because kids really like them like that?, or because WE think they do? so we only show/play them that?

like, any kid eventually is gona like or better said "learn" to like something because they parents show it to them, made the example so they follow. "oh my mum seems to enjoy this song, so it must be good, I like it too" kinda way of thinking/reacting.

so are kids really loving "happy simple" music better?, or do they like it because their parents "DO". All because "well thats what kids supposed to be listening to" kinda way of thinking?

18. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

Revival time.

So I just thought, in a way no is a way more powerful word than yes in this context:
    If someone asks "Yes?" and you answer "No." then you deny the yes. If someone asks "No?" and you say "Yes.", you're confirming the no. In both cases no is the outcome. You can't do the same with the word yes.

19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

You're basically describing logical 'and', using yes and no instead of true or false, on or off, etc.

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

Toni collette is probably the ugliest actress i've ever seen.