Randall Thrasher?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Hayd, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Hayd

Hayd SS.org Regular

From what I've read, people either really like this amplifier or they think it flat out sucks. I've also heard issues with the FX Loop. For those who own this amplifier could you give me your unbiased opinion. I have an oversized 4x12 Mesa cab. will this be a good matchup? I play mostly death and black metal don't really care too much for cleans.

2. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I had one for a while and used it through an Orange 2x12 loaded with EVM-12Ls. I was able to get some great tones out of it but it definitely required playing with to get it dialed in. The settings weren't a put the knobs at 12 and it slays kind of thing. Never really played with the loop. I suspect most of the guys that hate it had problems because the controls are non-intuitive so you can't set the eq at noon max the gain and go.

That said if you're looking for more extreme styles and want a Randall the Satan might work out better, though I have not tried one of those out yet.

3. Hayd

Hayd SS.org Regular

Anybody else? swapping out to kt88 tubes make an improvement?

4. Womb raider

Womb raider ESP Addict

The Satan comes with KT88s and it is a brutal sounding amp and easy to dial in a great tone. I've haven't used a Thrasher 120 just the 50, so take this with a grain of salt, but the EVH 5153 shits all over it. EVH had way more gain on tap and wasn't as trebly. This was through a Mesa 4x12 as well.
    Surprised you couldn't get a tone you liked out of the Stealth. If you're looking for bedroom/guitar store type volumes, then I would stay away from either of those Randalls though.

5. Hayd

Hayd SS.org Regular

What if you put kt88 in The Thrasher? I talked to a rep at Randall and they said that they have several used Randall Satan that went on tour with meshuga. I'm real tempted to buy that amp. With the Thrasher I can order one today with split payments to American Music Supply this is why I'm making all this noise about buying A Randall. The Satan is on backorder for a while they're not sure when they're going to be in stock because they had issues with Manufacturing

6. Womb raider

Womb raider ESP Addict

I don't know what kt88s in the Thrasher would sound like, but I imagine it's not going to transform it into a whole different amp eq-wise.
    Hell, the novelty factor alone by owning a Satan that Meshuggah toured with would be enough for me to get one if I was on the fence.

7. bnzboy

bnzboy youtube.com/bnzboy

Randall Satan slays. It is my main amp and depending on the guitar I can play anything from clean, crunch to face-melting metal. I use it as a both jamming/bedroom amp and the MV is very good. The only thing I dislike about the amp is its weight. I don't play other through amps anymore and I don't use boost/drive pedals either.

8. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

I don’t own a thrasher but I have got to spend some time with one, and I think it sounds awesome with speakers that don’t pronounce mids. I’m assuming your Mesa cab is loaded with v30s; so it might be too mid pronounced unless you can throw an EQ pedal in the loop to cut some mids before the speakers enhance them.
    It helps to consider the total encompassing factors that shape a guitar tone. String material/properties-pickup EQ curve- amp EQ curve- speaker frequencycurve- cabinet construction/dimensions.
    Once you have the info, you can start to “see” what you hear; and add to, or replace, parts of the chain to get the sound you want. Using a spectrum analyzer is useful as well because you can see what frequencies are boosted and what’s been cut at the end of your sound chain.

9. n4t

n4t SS.org Regular

I just swapped KT88s into my Savage from 6550s. The difference is the tone is more clear sounding, and can go slightly louder without power-tube distortion coming into play. KT series tubes do less to 'color' the sound than other tubes and I think are originally meant for HiFi systems as opposed to guitar amps. I suppose some may call them 'sterile', but I like them.

10. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

I owned the Satan and liked it. It's just very tight and unsaturated. A very clean high-gain sound. Ideal for 7+ strings and dropped. Would be great for any sort of black or death.