Randall T2

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by maliciousteve, Nov 15, 2009.

1. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Lord Green Fingers Contributor

Start off with going by each channel.

Clean Channel:

Crystal clean with an enormous amount of headroom. There's a misconception that it's all solid state. It's not, it's a full valve preamp mixed with a 400w Mosfet poweramp with a valve in the poweramp circuit for a 'buffer'.

But anyway, very clean and percussive. Not the warmest clean tone I've heard but I think if you were to add maybe a Chorus or delay pedal it would come to life.

Crunch Channel:

A great sound at what ever level of gain you set. Can go from a very 'bluesy' break up right up to extreme metal. I generally set the gain to about 7 o clock with humbucker guitars, this way I can get a very punchy metal tone yet still get a very warm lead tone or mid gain tone by playing with my guitars volume and tone control.

With my Strat (with BKP Sinner) I can get a very Malmsteenish tone or an expressive 'fusion' tone. Sounds fantastic.

Boost Channel:

This is pretty much the ultimate metal sound, by setting the gain to 3 o clock and using my BC Rich tuned to B, I can get a very 'djent' tone, incredibly tight yet just enough gain to not sound weak. Whack the gain up and I can get an awesome death metal tone that cuts through like my old Engl Powerball struggled to do.

The T2 comes with it's own midi footswitch which lets me store settings to the amp so that I can have the Crunch channel on its own but then switch the the Boost channel with the fx loop switched on instantly.

Very very loud, not had the chance to play it with a band yet but will be in a week or so, so I'll update the review then.

2. ralphy1976

ralphy1976 1 less ERGNESS

so not one for bedroom practise then? i like the fact that all 3 channels seem to have a very different sound, prety cool.

3. maliciousteve

I've only used this for bedroom practice, had trouble finding a drummer for the past year. But it sounds very very good a low volumes, but when you get the volume to about 3 (which is fucking loud) it's like being kicked in the chest by a horse :D

4. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

Fuck I love Randalls stuff :lol: I always wanted one of these to complement the VMax, but now that the V.Max is no more, it'll have to wait a while... Amazing amps though, just amazing.

5. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

That's quite marvellous - looking forward to seeing what else you have to say after playing with a band. 400w...thats....really a lot of power :D

6. Daemoniac

It's not quite as uncontrollable as you're probably thinking :lol: It can definitely get loud... like, wall collapsing, small village destroying loud, but it's not like a "turn it on and die" kind of thing if you get my drift ;)

7. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

:)

However, it will cause siesmic tremors on anything above half way? I really must consider Randall more seriously as I'm looking at either a SS or SS/Hybrid.

Any chance of clips?

8. Daemoniac

Aye once it gets over half-way, it is truly massive. +1 for clips :evil:

9. cow 7 sig

cow 7 sig AU director / RHLC ©

T2 is a fucking killer amp....gotta say ,i own a 5150,jcm 800 and had a duel rec.at the time i got my T2 i had those other amps and i still went to the T2.my 5150 has been put away and i sold the mesa,the 800 is up for sale.for me the T2 does everything+i run a X3L in the loop for fx and switching the head.i use a bad monkey or zw44 up front.trust me when i say this amp cuts and has no drama at all in a loud band situation,it really is fucking loud:yesway:
    [​IMG]
    I LOVE MY T2:agreed:

10. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

I had a V2, and loved it, but thought it had too many bells and whistles. I still really want to try out the T2. I have the feeling it would be pretty near perfect, especially alongside my Recto. I think they would complement each other well. I can't say I really love anything else Randall has ever made, but these 2 amps seem to be in a league of their own. Randall really nailed it.

11. maliciousteve

Well, I got to turn it up quite loud earlier in the week. I turned it up to about (4), any louder and I was drowning out the drummer and he was hitting hard.

Even though my cab isn't the greatest, it still cut through and pushed out quite alot of air. Very punchy and clear, the lead tones weren't shrill either, rounded with enough bite and kick.

I'm gonna ask some friends if they have anything I can record my amp with as I don't have anything for that right now,

12. Gallowsforgrace

Gallowsforgrace Gallows For Grace

Great amps. The V2 is awesome too.
    Bruce Egnator helped design them so I guess you have to expect quality!

13. Daemoniac

^ Didn't know that, makes a lot of sense that they sound amazing though :lol:

14. mikeshallperish

mikeshallperish SS.org Regular

anybody got a picture of the rear panel on this?

15. brogunallen

brogunallen SS.org Regular

I use the 100w version of this and love it, it has a sweep knob which is just ridiculous, i recommend to everyone. :shred:

16. fortyfourcaliber

fortyfourcaliber SS.org Regular

If you're rich you should buy this for me cause I FUCKING WANT IT!

17. kns7

kns7 SS.org Regular

Curious, so I definitely wouldn't need a distortion pedal for this. I can't stand distortion or metal pedal. Just want a simple brutal amp with enough gain on its own.:scratch:

18. maliciousteve

You definitely don't need a distortion pedal. A boost pedal in front compresses the amp too much and sounds horrid

19. kns7

kns7 SS.org Regular

Would you recommend it over the V2? I need something more punishing than versatile. Or do they have about the same gain?

20. maliciousteve

the T2 is for you then. same amounts of gain except the v2 has a graphic equalizer and a solid state channel. though as you just want a simple brutal amp the T2 is the one i'd choose