Randall T2 / V2 owners....new tubes?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Metalman X, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Caveman

Caveman Caveman

I try to use the SS channel primarily actually. and I wanna use the 6 band as a lead / rhythm boost. but I wanna be satisfied before i click it on for at least a good rhythm tone. think Thrash rhythm. all my other amps (every single one of them) has either a contour, or a midsweep, mid freq knob, and its the most useful knob. the V2 doesnt have it. Id really really wanna get one put in. and id wanna get my warhead modded with the later series sustain/gain boost.

2. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

Thrash rhythm doesn't have that much saturation, and when it does the V2 should be able to handle it. don't be afraid to crank the SS gain knob, it stays pretty clear IMO (pull that treble gain boost knob!). Again, a compression pedal would probably thicken your rhythm sound... or pick up a clean boost pedal for solos :shrug: Nojyeloot had it down, look at his settings in the thread I linked...

3. Caveman

Caveman Caveman

yeah but the SS channel on the V2 doesnt really get that Randall SS tone I mean ive had 3 other randalls 2 ss and one hybrid. and my v2s tone in comparison is tighter and kinda less colored while being just as high gain. its like if i had a contour knob i could turn it up a lil and get it sounding a bit harsher. spit a tiny bit of grit to it. I just read something somewhere though that gave me a tube idea ill try tomorrow.

4. Hayd

Hayd SS.org Regular

Ancient thread but I'm looking to retube my Randall T2 and I want the most aggressive preamp tubes that I can get for this head. When I bought the head used it came with1 JJ at7 and 3 tungsol JX7. Any suggestions?

5. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

The 12AT7 tubes have less output than 12AX7 tubes, so you may want to look into a set of those.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Every time I see someone bring up "aggression", I always see EHX or chinese Shuguang tubes.

7. Hayd

Hayd SS.org Regular

I believe the 12AT7 is for phase inverter. Wouldnt that cause issues using higher output preamp tube in that slot?

8. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

When I had mine, I kept the AT7 in that slot but to get a more 'aggressive' sound, I put a BBE Sonic Stomp in the loop & it tightened things up nicely.

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

100000% get the Silver Dragons for aggression.
    The shuguang 12ax7B is the go to!!!!

10. Metalman X

Metalman X The Resplendent Sub-Human

Manchester, CT., United States Of Vinland
    Indeed. The Shuguang's would be my first choice for that. Specifically aforementioned the 'silver dragon' ones if those are still around.

Yep.... one of the tubes in these amps is a buffer of sorts for the power section, and I remember the manual even stating putting anything higher output like a 12AX7 could damage the amp.