Randall RH200 head

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by anti-6, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anti-6

anti-6 Anti-6

I took back the Peavey XXL because it was a used head and when I pushed it hard , it cut out 3 times and I'm talking only running it at full 100 watts through (2) ampeg 412 cabs 8ohms.

I was considering getting a RANDALL RH200 G2 head. Does anyone have any opinions on RANDALL heads and thier tones? I play metal on a Washburn 7 and a Gibson SG 6 string tuned low.

Gimme' your input guys, I purchased the Peavey on a whim - but I am doing some research now so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - :hbang:

2. guitarjitsumaster

guitarjitsumaster seven times seven

I havent played any of the rh's but I love my randall warhead. 300 watts with graphic and parametric EQ. My low B is tighter then 80's spandex. :shred:
    It may be the 2x15 cabinet that the warhead configuration has but I havent had an amp that is this tight and articulate in the 7 strings lower range.

3. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

GuitaristOfHell likes this.
  4. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

Last year, I purchased a brand spanking new RH200SCG2 from a guy who won one in a contest for $175. If was a deal I couldn't pass up since they ran about $400-500 new. The sucker rocked & had all kind of cool options. They are worth checking into.

5. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

inside News!!!! Randall is really making a come back for 2006 they are activley seeking out endorsements deals with some serious hitters...and at NAMM they are to reveal a few new toys...I will wait and seen I have only had a RM100 and a MT 100 and both were not to my liking but alas Never say Never!! Being a tone whore...has it's at'vantages.the prices and watts always seem like good deals...Randall/Crate always seemed to me to be even...to me!

6. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

According to the HC rumor-patrol, there'll be a "G3" series this year, to replace the "G2", an upgrade basically. :)

7. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

A friend of mine had this head and cabinet, and I was pretty impressed. Decent tones (great clean tone), and surprisingly versatile (especially with his Tube Screamer and Smash Box Tone-Lok pedals in front of it).

8. anti-6

anti-6 Anti-6

I just purchased a 5150 combo for $500! - I am going to give it a workout and see how it sounds. Maybe I'll get lucky but if I don't then I'll be going to get the Randall RH 250 G2 - a 250 watt monster being sold by Grand Central Music on eBay.

9. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

10. anti-6

anti-6 Anti-6

11. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

Damn, now I'm thinking about going the Randall route for a road setup. :scratch:

12. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

Randall also has a new "V2" 400 Watt head...that would be interesting to play with, lol.

13. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

Those seem pretty sweet.
    Anybody ever check out the Randall cab that has the 2 12s and the 1 15"?

14. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

15. crisden

crisden SS.org Regular

I just got a Randall RM-4 modular preamp (loaded with the Blackface, Plexi, Ultra Lead and XTC modules) and their RT2/50 Power amp from my endorsement deal with them and they produce a crushing wall of sound. This gear is replacing my Mesa Triaxis/Simulclass 2:90 rig and I couldn't be happier.

Randall is an amp manufacturer to watch in the coming months. Lots of new, quality products.

marton likes this.
  16. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

17. anti-6

anti-6 Anti-6

Hey Donnie, thanks for the link man, I ordered the Randall RH200 G2 half stack today! I can't wait to get it - I'll let everyone know how it sounds.

On another note I took back my peavey XXL head that I bought at GC and to my surprise there was a used peavey 5150 combo there and I picked that up as well, and it has some good crunch but way too mid range in tone, I hooked it up to my Crate BV cabinet and it was still way too high and midrange crunchy and I just could not get any low end at all out of this 5150.

I finally had to use an EQ pedal and then I could get some low end out of it, but after playing it for about 4 hours, I don't know if I am tone deaf or what but man, but I still find myself going back to the solid state type of hard edged distortion, it seems to suit my style better than tube crunch.

If I could've gotten the crunch from the 5150 and the low end chunk from the XXL, I would've been very happy. I'll probably keep the 5150 for braggin' rights.

I'll keep everyone posted on the way the Randall RH200 G2 1/2 stack package from MF sounds - I am sure that I'll be more than happy with it.

18. anti-6

anti-6 Anti-6

OK - I received the amp today - it has pretty decent tone and is loud as hell. Anyone interested in this amp will definitely have to use a noise suppressor because it buzzes like a beehive at loud volumes!

Also the distortion channel does not start to really hit hard until the master volume is up to about 50% and honestly that is fine by me because the reason I purchased this amp is for live play in a band situation - and why else would someone buy a 200 watt head unless they plan on cranking it!?

After 50% on the master volume this amp kicks some serious ass though and at first, I was running a behringer cab that I purchased along with it at mono which is 16 ohm, I hit the switch to stereo and ran both cables from the outs of the amp into the cabinet and Jesus Christ - I about fell over from the blast of air and melting metal tone that I got out of it!

So i have band rehearsal this weekend and I'll keep everyone posted as to how it does in a loud live situation!

Rock on fellow 7 stringers

19. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

When I crank up my RG75 you can hear it outside standing in front of the dorm so I'm not surprised yours is loud as hell haha.

20. anti-6

anti-6 Anti-6

The amp that I just bought - Randall RH200 G2 - mated to a Behringer BG412F - 412 cabinet + I'll have it hooked to one of my Ampeg 412 cabs during live play, it's at the rehearsal studio.
    [​IMG]
    Picture of my rack setup that I use as well, through my 2 Ampeg 412 cabs
    [​IMG]
    I was actually thinking about having these two set up on a an A/B pedal so that I can have a lot more variation with my cleans and dirty sounds. I could set up the rack unit for my cleans and then the Randall for some dirty stuff.

I am sure some of you guys do it that way, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.