Randall RG13 Pedal/Amplifier demo

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by guitarnoize, Mar 10, 2014.

1. guitarnoize

guitarnoize SS.org Regular

I know a lot of people won't like this but if you are looking for a compact Solid State high gain amp, this 3 channel pedal is pretty cool, especially as it has an emulated 4x12 output (XLR) plus a regular instrument line out AND a speaker out. Plus it has an effects loop which is footswitchable.

sylcfh and Wookieslayer like this.
  2. cereal_guy

cereal_guy SS.org Regular

I have one of these and it sounds great, just make sure you use a real cab not the XLR out

3. Andrenighthound

Andrenighthound SS.org Regular

Hi I just ordered one. The XLR speaker emulated out... It's not that good?

Thanks,
    Andre'

4. cereal_guy

I don't like it, but it sounds killer when you mic up a 4x12 with a SM57.

5. Andrenighthound

I wanted to use it direct for a live recording because I can't isolate the loud speakers.

Also I got some fly in gigs that I just wanted to go direct into the PA or use the effects return of the provided backline.

I recorded direct a lot of times but always clean guitar. I got a AD/A GCS-3 speaker sim pedal coming as well. Maybe it will sound better with that going out of the 1/4" jack with the ADA pedal instead of the emulated XLR out..

6. cereal_guy

I'd imagine it would sound pretty good through a decent cab sim. It sounds really good through cabs (got a 1x12 and 4x12) but I'm not a fan of the cab emulated out.

7. sylcfh

sylcfh SS.org Regular

Thanks for that.

I'm impatiently waiting for the RGOD to hit the shelves.

8. Andrenighthound

Hey everyone,

I love my new 3003H, but I'm bummed about the rg3003 for using it with a direct recording. You can hear the fan loudly when its hooked up to my recorder. I'm wondering if I can get rid of the fan noise. Maybe plugging in the head with an isolated ground or neutral or dedicated circuit?

I'm using an amppeg micro svt with the direct out as well. It also has a fan inside but the noise isn't audible in the recording so it works great.

Luckily I got the rg13 also. I'm using the 1/4 out with a ADA cabinet simulator. The speaker emulation in the RG13 sounds good but it can't be tweaked like the ADA. I'm in the middle of a recording session using the rg13 for a clean signal and I'm using the channel 3 for leads. Also got the RD1 and used it for a rhythm track it sounds so killer with the direct xlr out!

Does anyone have this experience with the noise of the 3003H's fan when going direct into a mixer or recorder? I'm also looking to use the head perhaps with live performances with a cabinet but now I'm worried about the fan noise. Thanks for any info or help. I also am waiting on Randall's tech service to write me back.