Randall Cyclone help?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by bleedingeye667, Feb 12, 2017.

1. bleedingeye667

bleedingeye667 SS.org Regular

I found this wonderful amp in a pawn shop and had to have it. Once I got it and hooked it all up, I noticed something quite annoying. With the gain on 1 or above, I get an ungodly squeal that will only go away if I switch to the clean channel. I run four cable method with a line 6 board, a noise gate in the front and the effects loop. Mind you, this squeal does not happen at lower volumes. I even tried running the direct out into the effects return of my RD45 for a different power source and it still happens. Nothing extreme on my eq either. Can anyone help me out? I play with a guy who uses an RM100 so the issue is rather apparent in a full band setting

2. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler Contributor

Does this squeal happen if your guitar is muted, or only if you're trying to play?

3. bleedingeye667

bleedingeye667 SS.org Regular

While muted or also while hitting some single notes after it starts. Mind you I don't think it's a volume issue or being too close, as my Diavlo or my old RM100 didn't have that problem, bot to mention the noise gates.

4. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Probably a low pass filter cap is bad or shorted.

5. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Buried in the mix

I'm no electronics expert by any means but I had a similar problem with my Warhead (it's design has a lot in common with your Cyclone.) Distortion channel would squeal by itself like an analog synth when gain and the volume were up at playing level. It was solved when the input jack was replaced.
    Good luck getting yours fixed, I love these amps.