RAN, BRJ, or Strictly 7?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by jjcor, Feb 13, 2012.

1. jjcor

jjcor SS.org Regular

:idea:I just canceled my carvin DC800 because I figured for the price that I was spending after all the specs I could just get a Ran crusher (which I really like cause of the body style), BJR (dont really know anything about them so far) or strictly 7 (another awesome guitar and less wait time).

Ran - Gonna run me about $3200, 12-14 month wait time

BJR - Emailed them 3 different times about 3 months ago about a quote and STILL have'nt heard back. So not sure if the communication process is gonna be the best.

Strictly 7 - Great looking guitar ( still like the Ran about 1.25 better ), awesome communication and about 6-7 months wait. And gonna run about $2500.

So I just wanna know peoples opinions about these guitars and any info about personal experience with these guys. Pro's and Con's.

2. Sepultorture

Sepultorture Murder Machine

also take into account shipping, taxes and duties coming from poland to the US (if your price didn't include shipping, but it def won't include taxes and duites on entry into the US)

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery.

I would have stuck with the Carvin. None of those builders are going to be cheaper, or have better wait times, and it's arguable if the quality will be much better either.

RAN: The seem to have stepped up their game a little bit, but I still remember one of the Crushers of late arriving with mediocre fretwork. It didn't seem to be a big issue, but still something to consider. Also, don't forget to factor in shipping and import costs, be prepared to add another $200 to $400 to the price said and done, possibly more.

BRJ: Unless you buy into a half done build or an in-stock I'd pass. His crew is buried up to their elbows in orders still and the communication still seems to be really shaky. Go forward at your own risk.

Strictly 7: Once again, I've seen and heard some not so great reviews regarding these. They seem to be alright, but their routes still look like swimming pools.

4. yuureikun

yuureikun SS.org Regular

Gotta agree with Max. I was looking at S7 guitars for a while as well, but unfortunately not being able to try one out, and not really having any kind of trial period with the instrument after purchase makes it hard to go with for someone like me. Then Carvin came out with the DC800 (I already owned a DC727 since 2009).

I can't say enough good things about my DC800. The quality is amazing, the neck is insanely comfortable, and the pickups are surprisingly awesome. Carvin's quality is top notch and for the price, they are absolutely unbelievable.

5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus

Max is wise :agreed:

6. guy in latvia

guy in latvia SS.org Regular

you may also want to look into mayones (its gonna be much more expensive, but the wait time is not so bad, i hear).

7. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

Would've stuck with the Carvin to be honest. Just based on everything I've heard regarding the other companies.

8. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

Carvin is the only one of those that is a) local and b) has a big enough operation to be able to give you what you need and accept a return if it's unsatisfactory.

Also, WTF are you ordering if it's getting close to $3200?!?

9. MaxOfMetal

Yeah, according to the online builder the DC800s top out at $2700 and that's with Koa, Flamed Maple neck, and Flamed Spalted Maple.

10. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Yeah how someone specs out a carvin to cost that much I don't know :lol:

OP if you're ready to blow $3.2k look into Strandberg, Vik, KxK, etc...

11. leonardo7

leonardo7 Banned

Mayones Regius

12. HighGain510

HighGain510 <b><font color="DeepSkyBlue">Cold As Ice</font></b

Fix your specs on the Carvin and run back to them as quickly as you can! :rofl:

13. jjcor

jjcor SS.org Regular

The RAN is 3200 NOT the Carvin. The Carvin is 2360 to be exact. The strictly is 100 more and I can do spec out little shit like toggle switch and only a volume no tone knob. I called carvin and they told me they we not able to do this because of the wiring of the pickups.

And the Ran I included the shipping and all that into the cost. But yea BRJ seems to be a little overwhelmed at the momnent. Strictly were really nice dudes but that sucks about the routing issue. Thanks for the input so far though.

14. EOT

EOT I pull over 500 lbs.

I have a Strictly 7+1 cobra model. It's pretty nice but I wouldn't put it in the same league as a BRJ, which I have one of those as well. The BRJ is better quality but like has been said, he's swamped and it would probably be best to let him get caught up.

15. mphsc

mphsc lover of fine woods

I was doing the same fence riding... I wanted an 8. I spec'ed a Carvin & wasn't sure. I've played several but I wanted a bit "more".

I have a Rico quote & have inquired about some here on the forum, nothing I've read or seen really drew me in but I love the slant tops.

KxK from what I've seen, read & now owned, I want another, I know this but no more 8's in the foreseen future.

I took the plunge for a RAN Crusher FF8. It's solid oil finish, which I love, fanned frets 25.5 - 28" scale, I was itching to try fanned frets, custom mahog covered pickups. The build is great, Darius was super to deal with, communication & shipping. The guitar was shipped right away, packed so damn well.

I paid less than $2500 for the guitar & shipping, it came in a flight case. I had no import fees or duty fees, nothing. What I paid is what I paid. honestly it was a great experience & the guitar feels great.

I've looked into Strictly 7 but for the money of the custom neck thru's I'd rather get a VIK. He lets the wood shine thru...

Good luck.

16. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I think a Rico would take two years or so right now unless it is a stock model.

17. mphsc

mphsc lover of fine woods

decisions?

18. MaxOfMetal

Depends on how many times Bernie has to rebuild it.....:lol:

19. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man

If you're in the US and want your guitar soon, go with Carvin. Those 800's have been turning out great, and I've never played a Carvin that I didn't think was awesome. You simply can't beat the price (assuming you're a US citizen)

20. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Or you can get a Jaden Rose for that price, really. In the 3K range, you are opening yourself to quite a few builders. In terms of low delivery times, Carvin and Jaden have quite fast delivery times unless you go with a body made of sacred wood that was blessed by Buddha himself. I have no idea as to how S7G delivery times are at the moment (this assuming delivery time is a factor).

Rest is really down to specs and to the perceived need for a given company's distinctive mark when it comes to guitar building. :)