Radio Transmissions on Guitar

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Blue1970Cutlass, May 9, 2012.

1. Blue1970Cutlass

Blue1970Cutlass emberwolfmusic.com

I tried a google search but almost everything I found was about getting shielded cables and/or repositioning/grounding amps... so let me be clear

I own 19 electric guitars and only have the issue on one of them so I know its the guitar that's the problem and not any of the rest of my equipment. Another clue -- I get the radio signals both when this guitar is plugged into my amp AND when I'm running it directly into my mixer (again, common denominator = this particular guitar)

A bit more background -- it is a Fender Stratocaster -- but it never had this problem until a couple of days ago when I replaced the stock pickups with a set of Seymour Duncan AS-1 Blackouts

To add to my confusion, I also have SD Blackout Singles in a different guitar, and that guitar does NOT pick up radio signals

Any suggestions? I am at a loss

P.S. the signal is LOUD, as in this guitar is unplayable now

2. Necrocous

Necrocous New Member

I've had this problem a couple times myself... A bad ground anywhere in the loop (guitar to pedals to amp to wall) with cause shortwave radio to be received. I would check the work you just did first to rule out any wiring mishaps and guitars with trems usually have a wire going out to the back and soldered to the spring seat, take a look at that too.
    Another thing I always use is an electronic noise filter at the amp plug, it cuts static noise that may be coming in through the power source.
    After that my guess would be the pups themselves, could possibly be defective.
    good luck

3. xeonblade

xeonblade SS.org Regular

Free radio, why complain? :D

4. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

This is a shielding problem with the pickups. If you have that foil on the pickguard, remove it. The blackouts active circuit doesn't ground like a passive set, you need to cut the wire that goes to the trem and not have the pots grounding with each other ( common problem with pickguard foil ).

5. Blue1970Cutlass

Blue1970Cutlass emberwolfmusic.com

Dang, I thought you had something here... I knew not to connect the old ground wire but hadn't thought of the shielding... but, alas -- after removing it I am still picking up Twins games :(