Quick Darkglass Alpha Omicron test!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by IdentityDevice, Oct 7, 2017.

1. IdentityDevice

IdentityDevice SS.org Regular

Any of you guys have this yet? Like it? Dislike it?

2. GenghisCoyne

GenghisCoyne im here to party

doesnt seem like a very worthwhile tonal change for 250 bucks tbh

3. IdentityDevice

Do you mean compared to their other pedals?

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Those pretty much just came out. I have not tried one, but maybe check a bass forum for opinions, I'm sure that a bass-oriented forum would have more news than a guitar-oriented forum like this. Word on the street is that the Alpha Omicron has a good low end character with plenty of saturation.

Personally, I think $250 for a pedal like that is a bit much. If it's what you need, then there's not really any question, of course, but I usually find myself plugging a bass into an ABY and running a high gain guitar amp in parallel with a nice thumping bass amp does the trick. For recording, I go DI and then play with settings until I'm satisfied. I've had pretty "meh" luck mic'ing bass cabs, unless I use a few different mics and have a spectacular-sounding amp.

5. IdentityDevice

Oh I don't neeeed opinions because I made the video lol I own the pedal. Just thought i'd share and see if anyone else had gotten it and liked it or disliked it or whatever. Shared also so get more into the community about it. Know what I mean :)

6. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

I'm not a huge fan of that bass tone in the video. I don't find that there's much bass in the tone at all and it's apparent when it's just bass and drums. When the guitar kicks in, it's lost in the mix.

I'd need to try one in person before I commit. I've got a B7K already and I don't need more OD pedals... maybe.

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Ahh, I get it. Videos are blocked on my PC, so I'll have to check it out on my tablet later.

8. IdentityDevice

I wouldn't blame it on the pedal lol I would blame it on it being a super quick mix and I had just got the pedal and plugged it in and am use to mixing/processing bass in a very different way so ya know. :) Also another reason I want to add something else to the chain for a cleaner blended tone. Even though this has a blend knob. Still want something with more punch and bite as far as cleaner bass goes.

9. gingerman

gingerman SS.org Regular

I got the "normal" Alpha/Omega and I do like it :) Started thinking of changing it to Vintage Ultra or B7K, but after finding a few quality comparison videos and tweaking knobs and DAW post processing a bit, I am back to happiness with what I have.

10. IdentityDevice

Yeah I felt like I wasn't going to be happy with just the alpha so I got the Mesa Subway DI preamp as well. Now I'm thrilled :) loads of versatility between the 2 of them.