Questions about binding/stripping?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by MapleLeaf97, Dec 11, 2011.

1. MapleLeaf97

MapleLeaf97 SS.org Regular

Hi there. I feel totally dumb asking these, but I'm about to start a re-finish on my RGA7 (picture attatched for make glorious benefit of information) and I would like to go into it with as much info as possible. SO...

1) What can I use to strip the paint off? In the past I've used sand paper, but that would be a challenge with this guitar, and I'd like to try the chemical stripping route. What do you lovely people use for that? Because I'm clueless :(

2) Will the stripping affect the binding? I'd love to not have it peel off. I suppose if that happens, I can just re-glue it back on,. but I was curious.

I haven't really chosen a colour for the guitar yet, but I'd like your help with the stripping process, please? :ugh:

And in return, I'll post the meaning of life !

Attached Files:

2. eddiewarlock

eddiewarlock SS.org Regular

chemical stripping will EAT the binding. You will have to rebind the whole guitar.

If you´re just changing color to another solid color, best option would be to sand the entire guitar down to 600 grit, mask bindings, paint the whole thing, remove masking tape, clear the guitar.

3. MapleLeaf97

MapleLeaf97 SS.org Regular

Aw damn, really?

Well I was going to paint over the bindings, but I REALLY don't want to replace them altogether... okay, sanding it is :(

But wait, will sanding affect the binding/how well it's glued on?

4. Berserker

Berserker SS.org Regular

If you're painting it a solid colour you don't need to remove the old paint. Just scuff sand it and paint straight over the top. Not too much work at all, especially if you want to paint over the binding.