Question to Edge Zero users

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Santuzzo, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Hi,

I have to Prestiges that have an Edge zero on them (RG1527z and RGD2127z).
    I was a bit surprised to find out I have to remove the trem in order to install the stud lock screws.
    Did you guys do all of this?
    I was thinking, I may not install the stud lock screws at all, should be ok, no?
    Is it really necessary to install these little stud lock screws? Could it casue any damage if I don't install them?

Any thoughts?

Lars

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

All Ibanez guitars which ship with the Edge Zero come with the stud lock screws uninstall-ed. Ibanez learned their lesson about factory installing them back in the 90's when folks wouldn't bother to loosen them before adjust their action, thus a lot of folks wound up with seized trem posts, or even broken ones.

They're not exactly necessary with a proper trem setup and basic trem use.

How wildly do you use your trem? Have you noticed any tuning issues?

Nope. :)

3. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Thank you very much!:yesway:

To be honest, so far I haven't used the trm bar on the Edge zero much at all.
    So, the stud lock basically are meant to improve tuning stability?

The funny thing is, my old RG550LTD (from I think '94) has a Lo-pro and that has the stud locks, too, but the Edge pro tremolo, (which came out after the Edge lo-pro) does not have stud locks, but the Edge zero again has them.
    What was the reason for not having the stud locks on the Edge pro and why are they on the Edge zero?

Also, with the zero-pint-system the tremolo is vert stiff, so I can't be used as widly as without the zps, and I am planning the keep the zps installed. So, in this case, I think tuning issues won't be as likely anyway.

Another question: I hasve just gotten advice on the Jemsite to put some kind of lube on the tremolo knives. I have never done that before. Do you ever do that? Waht kind of lube do you use?

Thanks again,
    Lars

4. MaxOfMetal

It wasn't used on the Edge Pro due to the huge number of people who where destroying their posts by attempting to tighten the posts (lowering the action) while the locking screw was in the "locked" position. Ibanez simply chose to exclude the locking ability opposed to having to deal with the broken studs via customer complaints and replacement posts. The locking studs were reintroduced because a lot of customers wanted them back. In fact, a lot of folks would order older trem posts and perform what is commonly known as the "locking stud mod". Though, Ibanez did the smart thing, and chose to include them as a "user selectable" option.

As for the lubrication of the knife edges, it really comes down to use. If you're not using your trem much, then don't worry about it. If you're like me and beat the crap out of it, then it's good to lube it up every now and then. As far as what to use, I use some ordinary Chapstick lip balm, and believe it or not, it works great. It's cheap, easy to apply, won't corrode the finish, and works pretty well. Though, I do occasionally use some regular grease, but that tends to load up with dust and other gunk faster, the same goes for WD-40.

5. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Thanks , man !

Do you uninstall the trem to put the lube on the kinves or do you just put it while the trem is installed and move it up and down a few times?

I also use my other trems quite heavily, but they are Edge pro, the edge zero in my opinion is too stiff (when the zps is installed) for say, heavy dive-bombs.

I have another (somewhat related) question about adjusting the action:
    In all my Ibanez manuals (be it for a lo-rop, edge pro or edge zero equipped guitar) it does not mention that the strings should be loosend before adjusting the action, so I have always just turned the studs without any looesning of the strings.
    Now I have read that some people say you should never turn the studs with full string tension since this will wear down the knives and the studs. (which does sound logical to me)
    Do you alway loosen thr strings for adjusting the action?
    And if yes, would you have to loosen the springs in the back cavity, too, since otherwise there is still a lot of tension/pull of the trem agains the studs?

6. MaxOfMetal

I lube up the trem when it's removed from the guitar. I only do it when I do full break-down clean-ups.

I've heard about having to relieve the knife edges and posts of tension before adjusting action, and for the most part it's a non-issue. You should only really be adjusting your action on a limited basis, so it won't really add much wear, if it even does. Though, I really doubt it's bad for the knife edges or the posts. The knife edges are flat, not serrated, so it's just an even surface, nothing to really catch on or cause a significant amount of rubbing or friction. Also, the amount of action lowering or raising is typically only a couple millimeters.

As long as you maintain a proper setup and fully clean the unit on a regular basis your knife edges will last a very long time.

Santuzzo likes this.
  7. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Thanks again !

I appreciate your help very much:agreed:

I have never done a full break-down clean up on any of my guitars. Maybe I should look into that.
    How often do you do that? Like once a year? or less often?
    Do you by any change know of an online article on how to do a proper clean-up?

8. MaxOfMetal

No problem man. :)

I typically do a full cleanup every few months on my main player (currently a 91' UV7BK). Nothing "major" really. Just a restring, clean the fretboard, condition the fretboard, clean the hardware, spray air into the electronics, clean the body, polish the frets, work the fret ends, etc. I'll be honest, I sometimes get lazy and won't really do a full breakdown for a year. :lol: It's not a necessity, but I feel it's all a part about caring for your instruments.

There should be some guides over at "IBANEZ RULES!!" - Ibanez Guitars - New and Used and/or STEWMAC.COM : Guitar, Bass, Banjo, Mandolin, Parts, Tools, Supplies, Free Information.

9. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Thanks !

I will check those links out:agreed:

oh, yeah, merry x-mas, by the way:wavey:

10. MaxOfMetal

Same to you! :cheers:

11. Skirvin

Skirvin Skirvin'

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice, I'm currently waiting on a RG1527. It will be with me in about a week and I've been trying to find information about cleaning and maintenance.

P.S. Merry Christmas! (or Happy Holidays).

12. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

After reading through some of the articles (great information by the way) on IBANEZ RULES, I found this:

:)

I also found something that worries me abit about studs that are not locked and might cause the inserts to looesen in the wood:

(the inserts he refers to are the metal thing that are pressed fir into the body of the gutiar and that hold the studs.)

Anybody have experienced something like this on their guitars?

13. MaxOfMetal

I've had it happen to three or four Ibanez guitars and a single Jackson. Though, these guitars were in excess of fifteen years old, and the play in the trem studs was relatively minimal.

I've never really seen it on a case queen, but then again Rich deals in a lot more used Ibanez than I do, believe it or not. :lol:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about too much. It's not going to happen instantly, if it happens at all.