Question regarding Keith Merrow Fishman set

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Stuck_in_a_dream, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

So, I received the Fishman KM 6-string set today. To my surprise, when I looked at the bottom side of the pickups, the neck pickup reads "Fluence Classic Neck 6-string", while the bridge one reads "Keith Merrow Bridge 6-string". Is that ok? I knew the neck pickup was based on the Fluence Classic voicing, not that it was actually a Fluence Classic for production :confused:.

I just need someone to confirm, so that if it is a mistake, I'd need to return/exchange it. My plans for this set is to install them in my first Warmoth build, a Tele that borrows quite a bit from KM-iii specs. Will post all about it when done.

Best.

2. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I thought KM only had a signature bridge and used a regular Classic neck.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  3. Stuck_in_a_dream

Hmmm, well, that's not what KM said on his KM sig thread, here: http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/...signature-thread.252283/page-167#post-4834562

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

@LeviathanKiller is the only I know of on here with the set right now. he can prob chime in

5. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I've seen it mentioned in media releases that it's just a plain Classic neck. I'll see what I can dig up for you tomorrow after work. If I don't find any definitive answer, I'll pull mine up enough to see. Send me a pic of your pickup where it says Classic on it so I know where to look at.

6. Stuck_in_a_dream

Sure thing, here:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Stuck_in_a_dream

....a quick update:
    So I submitted a support ticket to Fishman to inquire about this, and they responded, within minutes, that this is indeed the case. KM's neck pickup IS the same as the Fluence Classic Open-core neck pickup.

So, overall, I think I'm fine, just thought that Fishman should have been more forthcoming about this. Nowhere on their KM product page they say anything to this effect. Maybe KM changed his mind later on, given what he said already regarding considerable modifications of the Classic neck pickup during the design phase. Or, maybe Fishman decided that such mods were not too dramatic to warrant a new pickup, the truth is probably somewhere in between.

What do you guys think?

LeoLmX and setsuna7 like this.
  8. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Does Keith Merrow even use the neck pickup on his guitars?

LeoLmX likes this.
  9. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

10. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Maybe they only changed the neck pickup for the seven string version, since I suppose it is the one that Keith focused on in the design phase?

11. LeviathanKiller

I think it should be stated that it's a modified Classic bridge and UNMODIFIED Classic neck just for the sole fact that people who have already tried the Classic set, will know what they're getting if they want to try the Keith Merrow set or vice versa.

7-string set is the same way

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    0rimus, Stuck_in_a_dream and Sumsar like this.
  12. LeviathanKiller

13. Stuck_in_a_dream

I actually stand corrected, it's on the product page!!!!! But still it doesn't make any sense in contrast with KM comments from design phase!!!!

Anyway, here's the description from the product page, and 2018 catalog.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  14. LeviathanKiller

That's what I had read before but I thought it was just a third-party's comments on a news article about the release. Didn't know it was copy-pasted from the product page. haha

15. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

I think they changed the voice 3 single coil voice on the most recent classics. At the time KM made the statement, it was probably true that it was different than the classic models. Fishman just updated the classics to have a different V3.

16. Kensusiunearth

Kensusiunearth SS.org Regular

Hey stuck in a dream... My name is ken susi, the guitarist for unearth and brand manager for Fluence. You are correct. Keith Merrow voiced a bridge pickup with us and when it came time to develope a custon neck, he couldn't see past our Classic neck humbucker. He liked the tone so much that we made it a part of his custom set. If you need anymore information, please go to the Fishman site

Thanks

17. Kensusiunearth

Kensusiunearth SS.org Regular

As i stated below, keith's bridge pickup is custom voiced. When he played on our classic neck pickup, he couldn't imagine better neck voicings. This is exactly what he demanded for his custom pickup set. Fishman gave keith crestive freedom to do whatever and this is what he arrived at.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018 at 8:49 AM
    JesperX and Stuck_in_a_dream like this.
  18. DIOBOLIC5150

DIOBOLIC5150 SS.org Regular

Hey guys, Keith here. Sorry for any confusion. At the time I wrote that post in question, the pickups were close to being released. We did indeed mess with the voicing and output of the neck pickup when I was working on this custom set. At the time, I was fairly certain that's what we were going to go with. But once I heard the split coil V3 on the new Classic Open Core (which came later), I was totally sold on it. So, that's what comes in the KM Custom Fluence set. I really just loved the Open Core Classic neck and the way it paired with the custom voiced bridge pickup. Hope that helps, thanks!

0rimus, AkiraSpectrum, Dcm81 and 4 others like this.
  19. Stuck_in_a_dream

Many thanks Ken, Keith for the explanation. I do really appreciate it, you guys rule :hbang::hbang::hbang:.
    I have 2 Fluence Classic sets by the way, so it's not like I don't like how they sound :D. I didn't know about these latest developments, and was a bit confused when I received the set. All good now, thanks again!