Question for owners of BFRs and Customs

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by DoomJazz, May 21, 2012.

1. DoomJazz

DoomJazz Classic Lojack

Would any of you rank your BFR 7's on par with your customs? Would you rank your customs higher? I love the feel of a Music Man 7, and it's features are totally appealing to me, but that price man... that price...

Anywho, the fate of the world (or rather my next payment) is in your hands!

:hbang:

As always, love you all.

2. TimSE

TimSE Contributor

I have an EBMM JP6 and a custom 7... The EBMM blows my custom out of the water! :lol:

They are completely different spec'ed guitars which makes it hard to say which of the 2 is better, really. But if I had to choose 1, it'd be an easy choice.

3. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr SS.org Regular

EBMM are built WELL. Quality control that rivals any company and any luither. They are worth the dough if they fit what you need.

4. Lirtle

Lirtle SS.org Regular

Ebmm jpxi slaughtered my Ran crusher. Music man really makes a killer guitar.

5. iloki

iloki SS.org Regular

I don't have a custom as of yet, but what the posters above speak is true.. the quality of the BFR JP7 is unrivaled in production instruments.. Definitely worth the price.

6. Nautilus

Nautilus Lefty supremacist

I've played a backwards (I'm lefty) BFR and well... a lot of customs (Blackmachine/Invictuses).

Musicman do an insane job. Yes, BFRs are shithot production guitars.

7. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Well that would depend on who made your custom.

8. EOT

EOT I pull over 500 lbs.

Truth!

I had a JPX. It was a very nice guitar. Played excellent, sounded great. I just didn't really get along with it so I sold it. But if you know you like the BFR's then go for it. And not all customs are alike. Just because you get a custom with all your specs doesn't mean you'll love it. Hard to say till you get one.

In the end, the only answer is to buy both:lol:

9. JP Universe

JP Universe Giggity Contributor

Thank you for killing my Ran Crusher GAS!!!! :lol:

Love my JP6!

10. xshreditupx

xshreditupx tats+metal=life

my custom is EXACTLY what i want. my jpx7 is exactly what i need. hope that makes seance

11. simulclass83

simulclass83 Yes, pancakes.

BFR's pretty much ARE the best production 7's out there. <--IMO

12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Honestly, if you want the quality, but not the price tag, pick up a non-BFR JP7. They're built just as good as the BFRs (BFRs are pricier because of exotic specs and limited runs, not because they are built better) and are priced as much as $2k less (unloaded compared to limited BFR).

13. xshreditupx

xshreditupx tats+metal=life

man i dont agree with this statement at all, there is something special about the bfr guitars. i have owned 2 jp 7 a bfr 7 a bfr 6 with a rosewood neck and now a jpx and the bfrs have always out played the non bfrs. now let me say that the non bfrs hold their weight with every other production high end guitar i have ever had, but the bfrs blow 99 percent of the other production run guitars out of the water. i spend a lot of time with a lot of different guitars and there are very few that are factory made that can stand up to a bfr.

14. Lirtle

Lirtle SS.org Regular

Dude they're certainly not bad and their craftsmanship is great. I just couldn't gel with it. I tried and tried but there wasn't that instant connection like I had with the jp. Saving up for another bfr right now:agreed:

15. Uncreative123

Uncreative123 SS.org Regular

He wasn't really saying that a regular model is better than or on par with a BFR, but rather that the QUALITY of the build is the same, which I would agree with. The BFR's just have different/better options. I would never chose a regular model over a BFR, but they are built in the same factory by the same people/CNC afterall.

Though, regarding price it should be noted that the JPX/JPXI/JPXII can all be had new for around $2500 (7 string) while the regular models are still $2200- I still see Mystic Dream models going for 2499 new. So it's not a steep drop-off by any means unless you're looking in the used market.

16. JoeyBTL

JoeyBTL SS.org Regular

I've never played any custom guitars, but I've owned a JP6, waiting on delivery for a JP12 and played almost all the JP models and they are all fantastic guitars. With the BFRs if you just look at what you get (stainless steel frets, ebony fretboard, basswood/alder body, maple top, locking tuners, piezo, and one of the best trems) for under $2500, or even cheaper if you go in on a sale at Guitar Center and then compare that to the price of a custom guitar with all that stuff, its an incredible deal. Its not a custom guitar built for you but if all the specs, and there are a lot too choose from since there are so many models now, are good for you, its a hard deal not to pass up.

17. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah I agree with Stealth. It would be a better question to say "what guitar is better than a BFR?" than to compare it to customs. It's not like you need any fancy qualifications to build a custom. And there is just as big a spread in quality if customs as in quality of production models.

18. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

What did you find better about the EBMM?

19. DraggAmps

DraggAmps SS.org Regular

My JPXI-7 is on par or better than any custom I've ever owned or held. They are flawless guitars and they're also a company that's big enough to do some interesting things and make some of their own outstanding hardware (such as the bridge!) and also to have built enough guitars that they all come out basically perfect. Whereas some custom brands are at that stage where they're still learning and each guitar might be getting a little better, tweaks are being made, etc (Daemoness comes to mind, at least earlier on, although they all look pretty much flawless at this point).

You can't really get much "better" than the usual perfect BFR's (and pretty much all EBMM's), IMO, just different. And they honestly are better than most customs. You have to get into guitars like Blackmachine and maybe Mayones, Vik, etc, to get as perfect. BJR's can be as good but they have their lemons too. All of the Daemoness' I've seen built recently look about as good as well. But yeah, BFR are just as good or better as anything IMO.

20. DraggAmps

DraggAmps SS.org Regular

Yeah, and to get all the same features (and as beautiful + flawless of a paint job) built into a guitar that is as consistent and perfect is rare and most likely more expensive from any other company.