Question about replacing pickup in Omen 8 string.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by pattonfreak1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. pattonfreak1

pattonfreak1 Bored Member

I just got this Omen 8 today:[​IMG]
    And the pickups are VERY meh. I'd at least like to replace the bridge pickup.
    They are passive pickups but they're housed like active EMG's. I was thinking of getting the Rondo Cepheus Alpha pickup but I'd like to know if switching to that is even possible? What kinda problems can I expect?
    If not a regular passive pickup then what kind should I get?
    Thanks in advance

2. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I wouldn't bother with the Cepheus, the ones I've heard have always been equally 'meh', you might as well save and go straight for EMG's. The 808X is the best 8 string pickup I've heard and I'm far from an Active pickup fan.

It's a direct replacement.

3. pattonfreak1

Thanks for the reply but that doesn't answer my question:

Is it possible to just pop a passive pickup in? Or is there some kinds "modification" that I'd hafta do to get the pickup in right?

4. Razzy

Razzy [10]

The Omen has passive sized 8 string humbuckers, so no, it is not a direct replacement.

I would wait until the new 8 string Dimarzios come out, and just throw those in. That's really your only option other than spending a few hundred dollars on Bareknuckles.

5. pattonfreak1

Which DiM's are you referring to? The 8 string D-Activators are the only ones I see at the moment.
    (And Thanks!)

6. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

The 808 will fit directly in without modding, and since you're going passive-->active, you don't need to worry about routing for a ground. :yesway: The only thing you'd have to worry about is replacing the pots and jack.

OP, you can put the Cepheus pickups in without altering the guitar, although you'll have big gaps on either end of the pickup. You can get covers for that here, however. You can read about how to do that here.

Like Razzy said, though, I'd personally wait for the DiMarzios. They're gonna be $89 bucks a pop, if I'm not mistaken, so priced near the Cepheus pickups, and apparently they arguably slay other production 8 string pickups.

EDIT: Pretty sure I failed at embedding those links, so if so, here they are.

Pickup covers: http://www.guitarjonesusa.com/catalog/store.php?crn=243&rn=421&action=show_detail

How to do it: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ex...ars-active-passive-conversion-megathread.html

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  7. Kamikaze7

Kamikaze7 Banned

I agree on a few counts with what others' have said here... I would say wait for the DiMarzio D-Activator 8's to come out and be one of the first few to tell us how they are... For passive pickups, I've always been a DiMarzio fan at heart.

I will also agree first hand that the EMG 808X's are the best active 8-string pickups by far. Way superior than the std. 808's. But I'm really dying to hear some rave reviews about these D-Activator 8's - and see if it'll be what gets me to pull the EMG 808/808X out of my 8-string and rock the Dimarzio's in that instead. From what everyone's been saying, these are supposed to be THE BEST 8-string pickups ever. And in knowing DiMarzio's track record and tones, I don't expect any dis-appointment from them...

8. Razzy

Razzy [10]

I just looked it up, and what the Hell? I was certain the Omen-8 had passive sized humbuckers. Maybe I'm thinking of the Omen 7.

9. pattonfreak1

Awesome. Thanks for the help fella's. And thanks for those links Philligan.

10. pattonfreak1

One last question:
    Does anyone know if I'd hafta modify/trim/alter the Cepheus or D-Activator to fit in one of those EMG covers?
    I ask as I don't really have the skills/confidence or access to many tools to do a job like that.
    Thanks again fella's.

11. Rook

Rook Electrifying

You shoudn't do.

Underneath the covers, EMG's look like any other pickup.

12. pattonfreak1

Not to sound smarmy but, I'm assuming that should read "You shouldn't no"?
    lol

13. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I was trying to find dimensions on the DiMarzio, but I didn't find it on their site, or on any site selling it. Anyone have a link to what I couldn't find?

Wow, new guy! Never been to the UK, have you?

Perhaps you don't sound smarmy so much as blessedly free of travel to other countries.

It can be cute, though, when you see kids trying to correct grownups.

14. pattonfreak1

I'm not sure what to make of your post. I can't tell if you're drunk or just trolling. If its the latter you can stop now cuz I simply won't play that game. I'm just trying to understand clearly. "You shouldn't do" could easily be interpreted as "You shouldn't do it". But after reading the rest of his post I assumed it should read "You shouldn't no" but I just wanted to be clear.

And you have no idea how old this "kid" is.
    So... Nya-nya-nee-boo-boo stick your face in doo-doo.

15. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    What I was responding to was the fact that you were correcting someone who was using English correctly, although not American English. (His location is London.)

Perhaps I misunderstood your intentions, and was reacting to you using the word "smarmy." I was pointing out that your post didn't sound smarmy, but just ignorant of how English gets used in places other than Boston.

Cheers!

16. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

The EMG-40HZ is passive and will fit the route perfectly with no mods or pot changes needed. I have not tried one, but I bet it would work great for an 8-string guitar.

17. Rocklobster93

Rocklobster93 SS.org Regular

You can get pickup rings that fit into the EMG routs but mount passive pickups

18. pattonfreak1

Thanks! Where?