Question about LTD tremolos...

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by distressed_romeo, Oct 30, 2007.

1. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

OK, my main guitar is an LTD M207, and I love it, except the bar is this wierd screw-in design that's always really really floppy, making it impossible to do any gargles or accurate bends with the bar. Would it be possible to remove the bar, and the part of the bridge it screws into, and replace it with something like this...

Allparts

...without spend £150+ on a totally new bridge?

If it is possible, can anyone suggest a good bar that would work with it? Ideally I want a nice snug-fitting one, ideally a pop-in one that can be spun round to any position and then stay put, like the Gotoh one I've got on my Jackson.

Cheers in advance.

2. mindstorm

mindstorm SS.org Regular

this is gonna sound stupid - but wrap a bit of tape around the thread on the arm - see if that helps

3. Groff

Groff Medicine Chief/RHLC© Contributor

I was under the impression that all trems are a little bit loose unless you pull them really tight, in which case you can't let it dangle out of the way.

4. kindred_spirits

kindred_spirits SS.org Regular

Teflon tape around the threads will be a cheap solution. But if you want the best way, buy a replacement Original Floyd arm holder and arm and replace your old one with it. They are case hardened and will not be floppy or loose.

5. distressed_romeo

That's what I was thinking.:yesway:

I've done the tape thing before with a different guitar, and found it only really worked as a temporary solution, and the trem design on my LTD is so wierd, I'm not sure it would work.

Would the Floyd Rose arm/holder (like the one I linked to) be compatible with the LTD trem, as I don't really know any shops that would have one I could examine?

6. distressed_romeo

Not quite true; the Gotoh trem on my Jackson has an arrangement where it pushes (not screws) into a little rubber sleave, and then has a slot for an allan wrench that your can tighten, so it can move 360 degrees without the feel of the bar changing at all. It's probably the best trem I've ever played.
    On my Yamaha guitar, it's a traditional screw-in one, but you can adjust the angle it falls at, so it doesn't spin round in the same way, but still works for flutters and bends.
    The problem with the LTD bar is that it spins 360 degrees, but is impossible to get tight enough to do anything other than divebombs (which I almost never do).

7. kindred_spirits

kindred_spirits SS.org Regular

I'm pretty sure the arm holder and arm you linked will work.