question about installation path of sound libraries

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Santuzzo, May 9, 2018.

1. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Hi,

what do you guys consider as a best practice on where to install (big) sound libraries to?
    I am about to re-install all my Toontrack products as I have a new SSD drive (for a few years already, but I have not re-installed my drum software yet).
    My SSD still has 361 GB free of 456 GB. But I also have a big HDD drive which I use for storing data. Would it be best to install all my TT software onto the SSD?

Or would it be better to install only the plugin into the plugin folder (which is on my SSD) but to install all the sound libraries onto my HDD drive? would that make the software slower? I have quite a lot of products (EZDrummer 1 and 11 EZXs, SD2 and 4 SDXs as well as DFH Superior 1 and EZ Mix 1, 2 and 4 EZmix packs.

I also have some other recording related software I need to install (Addictive Drummer, Slate Drums, IK Multimedia Sample Tank).

If the space on my SSD is sufficient, which I'm sure it is, would I be best off to install everything (including samples/sound libraries) onto the SSD?

thanks a lot!
    Lars

2. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

Large files that need read constantly on SSDs, HDDs for backups and small ram only instances that are only read once

Santuzzo likes this.
  3. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Portable solid state hard drive, or in the cloud, ie; Drop box.
    We have our entire recording sessions from Pro Tools stored there, along with all sound libraries, imported samples, and user presets.

Santuzzo likes this.
  4. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Thanks!
    I honestly don't know if the files need read constantly.
    Does it matter whether the SSD is the one holding the OS or not?
    I guess my general quesiton is whether it's better to have the samples/libraries on a different drive thant the plugin and the OS.

Thanks!
    portable SSD as in external SSD?

5. TonyFlyingSquirrel

rezafelayati and Santuzzo like this.
  6. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Thanks again!
    I only have USB 2 on my PC, is it preferable to install the sound libraries to an internal drive in that case, since USB 2 is slower than USB 3?

7. TonyFlyingSquirrel

You can get drives for USB 2. I just happen to have a USB 3 drive on my computers.
    Just do a search, they're out there. Nice thing about this one is that there are no moving parts in it, quite durable, that's why the SSD drives are highly recommended, especially if used for portable applications.

Santuzzo likes this.
  8. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Thanks!
    Yes, I know there's external drives for USB2, I even think that a USB 3 external drive would also worn on a USB 2 port, but my thought was that USB 2 might be slower than an internal drive? or am I off here? From what I have heard USB 3 is quite a bit faster than USB 2 and with the slower speed of USB 2 an internal drive would be faster and therefore preferable to a USB 2 external drive.

9. TonyFlyingSquirrel

Not sure about that, I defer to others for insight on that.

Santuzzo likes this.
  10. axxessdenied

axxessdenied :: 2077 ::

My main PC is nothing but SSDs.
    OS on one.
    Daws on another.
    Heavy use samples (superior, sd, etc) get put on an ssd as well. A lot of my kontakt libraries, midi, IRs, etc are on a nas drive and then I load folders as network drives in windows.

Santuzzo likes this.
  11. rezafelayati

rezafelayati self-claimed ERG nerd

This is what I did too! I installed the plugin and all the related stuff on the internal hard drive, while the libraries are stored on my external hard drive. Both my USB input PC and external Hard Drive cable are USB 3.0 tho.

From my experience, I find it a little bit slow on my PC when it comes to loading up the libraries that is stored in my external hard drive, especially the big sized ones like my Spitfire Audio Albion or Metropolis Ark. Other than that, I have no issue whatsoever.

Santuzzo likes this.
  12. TonyFlyingSquirrel

My bass player and I have identical home studios. Nice thing about the way we work with dropbox is that all of our sessions & libraries do not live on the hardware of what we're using, and since he's in I.T. he has redundant backups on multiple servers. It's effectively like a shared document would be on a network system for most of our employers.
    I hit "save" in Pro Tools, he gets a notification of a file being uploaded or updated in Dropbox.
    We no longer have multiple copies of the same session floating around between home computers causing confusion about which one is the primary.

Santuzzo likes this.