Punching through the mix

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Monsterhawk, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Monsterhawk

Monsterhawk You're killin it bro

I'm sure there's tonnes of threads about all this sorta thing but im new to the chop and change side of things!

I've played for a good few years but ive only recently got into swapping the components on my axe's.

I've got by for a while with the standard PU's in my JS22-7 (i know there's a few mixed reviews but this beast has blown me away, especially for a £200 guitar) they've been great for practicing and have been good in the studios until recently as I'm finding that amongst the mix of the new band I've recently stepped into, a lot of my notes just aren't cutting through enough. I play lead in a heavy band, think Parkway, Attila and a bit of KSE mixed together so there's a fair amount going on and were mainly Drop A/B standard.

I'm looking for something that really gives it a kick, I've been eyeing up the Nazgul/Sentient set up but I'm looking for a bit more input from more experienced axe weilders!

Any advice at all?

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

IMO cutting through a mix is going to be more the amps job than the pickups job. You pickup will shape your feel/dynamics/etc, but the amp is what's going to propel you forward into the mix. Pickups make a difference, but the amp make *more* difference. :2c:

I would look first at the amps being used, relative volume levels, what ranges each instrument is sitting in, etc., then consider pickups as a possible solution to what you discovered. In lots of bands I've seen, the guitar ends up using way too much low end, so as soon as you push for some volume, you compete with the bass and the two instruments end up burying eachother. Cutting through a mix means finding and sitting in a sonic space that isn't already occupied by everything else.

3. Monsterhawk

That make sense, I know a lot of it is down to the amps, Unfortunately I don't have much control over that due to the studio we use having pretty small rooms and not the greatest amps available, perhaps ill take my combo in with me instead.

I use a pretty good space of the frequency range, not a lot of low end at all mainly more in the high end of the range because I don't really use the lower notes and want the sound to separate form the other guitar/bass.

I am looking into a PU upgrade though, I just want to get shot of the muddy sound from the existing ones. they're in no way bad PU's, they just have a little bit of mud where i would rather a tight crisp tone that really belts.

I used a friends JS32 which has the setup I was thinking about and I loved the sound...not sure how different the outcome would be in the JS22-7 would be though

4. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Pickups aren't going to make a big enough effect. If a different amp or different speaker cab is out of the question, then maybe look into getting an EQ pedal to boost mids.

5. Monsterhawk

Im using a Boss ME-50 at the moment which helps when the Amps really let me down, guess ill have to look into investing in my own big rig or something

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

To be brutally honest, I had the ME50B for bass, and I thought at first that it was helping me out, cause what I got out of it was very consistent, predictable, shapeable, etc., but it was guilty of a lot of tone suckage. It pulled all the life out my bass.

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Generally, to cut through a mix, you want plenty of midrange, and a not exceptionally compressed/saturated signal so you still get plenty of dynamics. New pickups wouldn't HURT your tone, I suspect, but they're not going to magically fix the problem you're having cutting through. Try dialing in your rig differently and experiment a bit at practices to see if you can find something that works WITH the band better than your own settings (which were probably dialed in solo).

8. Monsterhawk

I have noticed quite a few drawbacks while using this, such as bad feedback etc but it just makes it easier when im using unfamiliar rigs. guess thats kinda cheating though!

Drew- I guess its time for me to look at how im dialling in and see if im doing it wrong (most likely) unfortunately ive always relied on my pedals for the most part and lived with a real terrible amp for years before upgrading. let the experimenting begin.

thanks for the advice everyone:shred:

9. Jaek-Chi

Jaek-Chi SS.org Regular

Agreed, with the above. Amp is going to be much more important. However if you are set on changing pickups - Peters Custom D1 (bridge) and D3 (neck). Greatest pickups i've had the joy of owning. Nazgul is too high end focussed, not enough midrange and too shrill IMO