Psychiatrist who championed 'gay cure' admits he was wrong

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Explorer, May 20, 2012.

1. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Dr Robert Spitzer apologises for 'fatally flawed' study, published in 2001, which claimed gay people could be 'cured' if properly motivated.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/19/h...st-apologizes-for-study-on-gay-cure.html?_r=1

A decade later, researcher apologizes for study suggesting gays can go straight with therapy - The Washington Post

How One Flawed Study Spawned a Decade of Lies - Forbes

It's pretty interesting to see him willing to repudiate his former work. That's science, I guess, although clearly the original study was flawed, and was likely accepted due to his authority, which is also supposedly screened out when using the scientific method.

However... what will be interesting will be the reactions of the religious and conservative people who have a vested interest in the study being true. Science is able to discard old paradigms, theories and ideas when they are replaced. Given how long ideas like creationism have remained part of conservative American politics, and how disproven studies have lingered in that field, I suspect this study will similarly remain at the forefront of their thinking.

Your thoughts?

2. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

It wont affect those who were citing it in the first place. They'll just replace it with some other ridiculous "study".

3. The Uncreator

The Uncreator Control The Sun

Respectable on his part, I'll give him that.

4. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

very scientific of him, only that it was about 40 years after the rest of the developed world had reached the same conclusion. Still, a good example of science in progress.

5. Waelstrum

Waelstrum All Fourths Advocate

I doubt this will change much. He'll be ignored by the few who took him seriously, who will move on to some equivalent wrong (or corrupt) scientist. People who were already aware shall continue to ignore him, pausing momentarily to acknowledge that it takes guts to admit you're wrong, particularly on such a highly politicised topic.

6. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I agaree that a lot of conservatives and religious sorts won't abandon their views, but without "scientific" backing for praying (or sciencing) away the gay, it will be harder and harder for the fringes to sway the middle of the road.

One thing which polls have shown over time is that talking about an issue like gay rights often means a shift in those who had previously been against them. Knowing that someone is gay makes those issues more real, and makes it hard for someone to come up with rational arguments against withholding rights from that person.

Similarly, ending the conservative/religious smokescreen of "It's a choice" will make it harder to continue supporting what those people want.

7. decypher

decypher SS.org Regular

...and I was just about ready to turn my computer and music room into a nursery. dammit!

8. highlordmugfug

highlordmugfug themuthaphukkindeath

:lol:

9. Semichastny

Semichastny SS.org Regular

American Conservatives have an extremely difficult time understanding the difference between fact and opinion, this will change almost nothing.

10. highlordmugfug

highlordmugfug themuthaphukkindeath

Crazy religious homophobes use "scientific sources" that have been proven false, shown to be flawed, that had little to no actual rigor put into the methods, too small sample sizes to be relevant, etc all the time, so I'm sure the original work the man did will STILL be used, and if anything at all about their argument changes, it will be a small addendum about how the psychiatrist that "proved their point" eventually became one of them damn pinko commies.