PSR SE compared to Fender American Standard Strat

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Mboogie7, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Mboogie7

Mboogie7 SS.org Regular

Hey all, hope everyone is doing well. I just wanted to get a few opinions from you fine ladies/gentlemen about this.

Long story short, I'm debating on whether i should attempt to sell my strat and buy a PRS SE custom. I enjoy listening to and playing anything ranging from the Chili Peppers to technical metal, and would like to get a six string that can essentially do both fairly well.

The kicker is I'm a lefty, so a PSR SE custom hasn't really been available, however i noticed on their website that they are now selling them in left handed models!

I've got an Agile Interceptor 725 and Intrepid 808, but i would love to get a six string that can cover a wide range.

The PRS has coil splitting pickups which sounds great from the video demos I've seen, but I've never played a PRS before and would like to get your thoughts.

Would you consider the PRS a good option value wise? I've never seen a bad review about them, but again, I'm not familiar with how they feel or play.

If this is in the wrong subforum, I apologize, and Mods, please feel free to move it if you deem necessary.

Thanks!

2. ImBCRichBitch

ImBCRichBitch SS.org Regular

Its about preference. PRS are amazing guitars, and they sound phenominal. Its a half inch shorter scale wise, if i recall the lefty models have hardtails (correct me if im wrong) and theyre double buckers which im sure are tappable to single. very versatile. If possible, though, id suggest the age old camp of "why not both?" because strats are a sound all on their own

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  3. Mboogie7

Mboogie7 SS.org Regular

Well, i would love to keep the strat and get the PRS, but at this time, money is a factor in this unfortunately. The PRS has their standard trem if i remember correctly. My only fear is that PRS will halt production of the guitars before i'm able to acquire it without selling a different guitar first =/.

I just bought my 8 string a few months ago, so i'm still paying that one off, otherwise i would definitely get it without parting with the strat.

4. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

On a guitar that I'd never even played before, I wouldn't let the idea of a halt in production be a deciding factor to buy. I'd go crazy and spiral into debt if I had that perspective. I also wouldn't get rid of one guitar that I already really liked in hopes of acquiring something else that I might/ might not like better.

I've got both guitars and I love them both for different reasons including tone. For me, everything about the the SE is as equally comfortable as the Strat sitting or standing but ymmv. For the sheer tonal versatility and 24 frets, I play my SE more than my AmStd. Hopefully you might find an SE to try before making a decision. Good luck.

5. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

You can always, always swap pickups on your Strat. Mine has seen many incarnations with many different pickguards and pickup combinations.

If you want versatility, I'd get an HH or HSH pickguard and throw in a versatile set of pickups (jb/jazz or airzone/pafpro or something) and wire it up for splitting and such. If you decide you hate it later, just switch back to your singles.

R34CH and smokiekouki like this.
  6. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

So much this. Strat pickguards are so ubiquitous and easily swappable for other configurations. Love my Strat. :)

7. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Try this one:

Keep the strat, save up, buy the SE.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  8. silverabyss

silverabyss J. Custom taste, Gio budget Contributor

Might as well tell him to save up for a Core or S2 at that rate

9. budda

How do you figure? Given those are both more expensive, and a used lefty has the potential to pop up while he's saving.

You don't always have to sell gear in order to get other gear.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  10. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I would say buy the PRS guitar and keep the Strat.

11. silverabyss

Considering he's a lefty yeah his options are more limited but if you save for a new SE you're already so close to like used Core Miras and CEs

I think the most utilitarian thing to do is just get a single coil sized hum or a full size + pg on his strat 0

A HSS strat can do a lot of shit

But from a feelings/idealistic standpoint I'd rather have a McCarty body than a plain Strat body so I can kind see myself in OP's shoes.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  12. budda

In what world is $750 for an SE close to $1600 for a core? Yeah hes close to a used S2 if they make a lefty, and if he likes the model. So im suggesting stick with the SE and the strat.

13. silverabyss

I was just kind of annoyed at first when you said "well just save for (x)" (from my point of view being a broke ass bitch telling me to save for any guitar might as well be like trying to save for a 10K PRS. It was just a ill thought out angry knee jerk response for me.) Then understood your reasoning better when I realized/remembered the OP is limited by being a lefty.

Core Miras were going for 800-850 but since went back up to closer to 1k after Phil McKnight made a video talking about how killer they were on the used market

TLDR Ignore me I'm dumb

14. budda

Its not a bad thing to learn proper money management. Learning to save and budget to buy things you really want is a valuable skill. Its how you roll like techno or HG510 and not like a dude with 1 good guitar he had to trade and add cash for 3 years to get.

It applies to life not just buying gear. Its how you avoid or get out of debt faster as opposed to piling it on.

Signed, guy who has no money for gear.

15. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

I'd go with an American Strat over an import "PRS" any day of the week. The strat is uber versatile and going to be a better instrument. Not to say SE's are bad, they are an amazing bang for the buck, but the American Strats I'v played are always high quality. Much better resale value as well.

Spicypickles likes this.
  16. budda

Playability is a setup thing though. And to say an HH with coil tap isnt as versatile as SSS and a 5-way is a little misleading :lol:

Also resale on an MiA fender wont be any better - at any time theres a wack of them on the used market. I would wager they have the same resale value, just with different numbers.

OP, go with your gut.

17. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Saying that you can mod your strat to be more versatile isn’t misleading. You can put any pup combo you want in there easily. But you can make a strat sound like other things, its hard to make other things sound like a strat. Its made to be customized.
    And if you buy used, you can get your money back to a huge audience. You ever hear anyone talk about passing a shitty indo guitar to their kid? The resale value might be the same but selling a strat is a much simpler task.

18. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Are there any Lefty S2 or Core regular production models.
    Looking around at reverb the next step up from the lefty se is a 4k limited production run.

Op you should just save up for the se.