PSA: Try an EQ pedal in front of your amp before buying new pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by KailM, Oct 1, 2017.

1. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I wouldn't even know how to play with that much saturation anymore! :lol:

OT, Dime was the first one I read about back in the day using an Eq pedal up front, then the Parametric in the rear. Didn't understand it back then, but makes total sense now.

2. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

I've been running an EQ pedal in front of anything I plug in to or in line virtually since the year 2000. First read about it on amptone.com.

I've always DESPISED running a Tubescreamer/boost in front of an amp. Quickest way IMO to ruin the tone, but I understand why it's done. An EQ works wonders and is very versatile.

I started with a cheap (that I still have) Danelectro Fish n' Chips and now use an Empress ParaEQ with the Dano getting some use every now and then.

The biggest unexpected benefit is that I tend to prefer low output pickups now. Single coils actually. They really capture a huge amount of what your strings are doing and your dynamics. I can tweak the tone with the EQ section and boost the level with the output slider/knob to where I like.

You can also cut the output of hot pickups and take back some control. I like doing this with EMG 60s of various flavors and then tweaking them to sound a bit more single-coil like.

Seriously. Nab a used EQ pedal or a Dano new for cheap and give it a whirl. Tons of versatility.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.