PSA: Beware of Google Docs being shared with you

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by bpprox22, May 3, 2017.

1. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

There is a mass phishing attempt going on now that is sending Google users emails saying someone has a doc to share with them (sometimes from one of your contacts). If given permission, your account will be hi-jacked and continue to spread the phishing attempts.

Google has already reacted to this by issuing messages to users when Google detects emails that are potentially malicious messages related to this event.

Here is the breakdown:
    https://isc.sans.edu/diary/22372

2. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

....im to afraid to click the link in your post!!! What if its a double-cross!!!

3. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

4. Beefmuffin

Beefmuffin New Boot Goofin

Dude.....your timing. So I JUST got one at work from a vendor I sent an email to earlier today. For a good verification/indicator as to whether or not the email is a scam and not a real invitation, look at the To: address. the one I just received looks like this:

hhhhhhhhhhhhhh@mailnator.com

The subject is just " (real name of person I emailed) has invited you to view the following document: then there is a blue button with white letters that says open in docs.

The thing that might trip people up though, is that the send was the legit address from my vendor. Nothing fishy about the sender address. Just be careful people, this be real!

Also, no I did not click it haha.

5. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

For anyone who accidentally allows access to your email, you can revoke the permissions by going to the address below: