PRS Torero Neck Creaking with Floyd

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by sundial2k, Jan 27, 2012.

1. sundial2k

sundial2k SS.org Regular

Hey all - I just got a PRS Torero (in a limited Purple Burst) to go along with my Custom 24. I have to say that the Torero is surprisingly close to the Custom 24.

I've had other guitars with a Floyd Rose before but never noticed any type of neck-noise when diving. Basically, when I dive (release tension) in the strings using the Floyd I can hear what sounds like the wood in the neck creaking. At first I thought it was the strings but it's not.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Attached Files:

sell2792 likes this.
  2. vanhendrix

vanhendrix SS.org Regular

You sure it's not the springs in the back of the floyd? They often make noise.

If it is the neck, make sure the truss rod isn't completely loosened off and slack. I saw a guitar like that once, it just had this rod rattling around in there. Talk about scary :eek:

3. Bigfan

Bigfan sixstringer

That sounds like the springs, yeah. There are seveal ways of quieting them, I think.

4. sundial2k

sundial2k SS.org Regular

Thanks for the replies. It's definitely a noise coming from the neck and not the springs - but that was a great idea. I checked the truss-rod earlier today and it is tight (and the action is perfect).

I wonder if it's the binding on the neck? I'll have to investigate some more.

Thanks!

5. snowblind56

snowblind56 SS.org Regular

This has happened on two guitars of mine. One was the one I built at Roberto-Venn, and the other was my Bernie Rico Hesperian 7 String. I don't think it's the neck creaking as much as it's something to do with the locking nut.

6. sundial2k

sundial2k SS.org Regular

Did you do anything to fix it or just live with it?

7. snowblind56

snowblind56 SS.org Regular

Kind of lived with it. I traded off the Rico and I don't play the one I built. I never really looked into a cause or a fix for it.

8. Joelan

Joelan Ukulele Shredder

I recall having had the same thing with my 7620 sometimes. It wasn't a persistent thing though, it may have been the locking nut (which I always seemed to have problems with). Take the locking pads off and see if it still makes the noise.

Actually nevermind I just read you said it was when you release tension.. I've only had it happen when I raise the pitch. That's quite odd...

9. Riffer

Riffer PRS SE Inspector

I would try looking into the locking nut and see if maybe one of the locking pads is crooked/loose and maybe the string is sliding when you release the tension. Or maybe the nut itself is loose and you might need to tighten the 2 screws that hold it on the nut shelf.

10. Pablo

Pablo Resident Wanker

It could very easily be the screws for the locking nut that haven't been tightend properly. Try removing the bolts and locking pads from the nut and tighten the screws.

Cheers

Eske

11. Blood Ghost

Blood Ghost SS.org Regular

Hold the nut close to your face :)lol:) and depress the bar a few times. Check it out very, very closely.

12. sell2792

sell2792 Master Chugger

DAT PURPLE!!!

13. The Munk

The Munk SS.org Regular

Sounds to me that the 'creaking' you are hearing is related to the nut. The face of the nut where it contacts the fretboard is most likely where the sound you are hearing is coming from.
    As was said earlier, check to be sure that the locking nut itself is secured firmly to the nut shelf. That's the first step.