PRS SE 7 string build quality.....

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by FILTHnFEAR, Jul 8, 2018.

1. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

I'm seriously on the brink of picking up one of the Axe Palace limited run PRS baritone 7's.

I'm wondering if the build on PRS at this price level will be worth adding the price of upgraded pups, tuners, and possibly bridge to it. Or if I would get better build quality from the new Schecter SLS Elite with the Fishmans that I was about to pick up.

It would be a bit more with the upgrades for the PRS than the Schecter, but not significantly so. I have no experience with PRS, but these are gorgeous.

How different of a neck profile be on a PRS 7 string compared toy 1527? I'm guessing a little thicker maybe? Which would be fine.

Thoughts/opinions would be a lot of help here guys.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Grab the Schecter.

I say that as both a fan of PRS (USA) and not so much a fan of Schecter’s import offerings.

The SE models aren’t awful by any means, but currently, Schecter has them beat on quality and features. Especially on 7 strings.

3. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Not the only one considering one of those Axe Palace SE's. That green one is fucking gorgeous

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I owned an SE SVN, and I just got a Kenny Hickey Schecter.

The fretwork was better on the SE, but I much preferred everything else about the Kenny.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  5. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

They're made in the same factory as schecter, end of the day it comes down to the store you buy from in my experience with things like this.

I know stores that will put guitars on the wall with such bad fret work strings will get caught under the fret ends.

But I know stores who will take that same model and set it up before it goes on the wall.

A schecter will have more features for the price, but if you want a prs a schecter won't give you that.

6. MaxOfMetal

That really doesn't mean anything.

I've been in manufacturing for nearly two decades now. I've worked in a few different fields, but they all involved making things on contract for other brands/companies. I've also been privy to some of the workings at the larger guitar OEMs, such as Cortek and World.

Quality is set by the customer. How do they do that? When they place an order they work with the manufacturer to hit a certain price and stipulate the kind of quality they want. The higher the quality out the door the higher the unit price as there is going to be more sampling, more rework and more non-reclaimables.

Then there is the level of post-manufacturer inspection. Companies like Agile don't really do anything. They pretty much make sure it's a guitar, that there are no absolutely glaring issues, and then ship it to the consumer. On the flip side, companies like Dingwall receive, inspect, setup and troubleshoot issues before shipping to retailers who are then supposed to check to make sure everything is okay.

7. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

I can't speak for the SLS as I haven't tried one but both of the PRS 7s that I tried were really nice build quality-wise. Unfortunately they did lack the features you'd get in a similar priced Schecter such as locking tuners & graphtec nut.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  8. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Also, old mate from Axe Palace is actually on this board pretty regularly and there are plenty of people here who have purchased guitars from there with zero problems. If anything Axe Palace is one of the places I'd trust buying an import from.

9. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Which is why I mentioned the stores. Schecter do inspect their import guitars but you still see issues.

This is why it depends on where you buy, as I said I can see one model in one store and the same one set up properly in a different store.

If you're buying an axe Palace guitar you should be fine.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  10. MaxOfMetal

I agree. :agreed:

I'm just saying that even guitars from the same factory and at a similar consumer price point can vary considerably, and it very well can be, and often is, related to the brand.

11. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yup yup yup yup

its all about how the brand order the guitar at the factory, they could build a 100$ or a 2000$ guitar

and then theres the markup such brand decides to add on top.... at the end they have to run a bussiness too and make profit.... and markup on dealers/stores ect...... so because two guitars cost the same at a store, they could have a bigger difference in initial price at the factory floor

12. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

It's been between the Apocalypse 7 and SLS Elite 7 Schecter's for a while and then this PRS pops up and is pretty amazing looking.

I'm just weary the overall build fret/neck quality would be lower than the Schecter's. And by the time I add the pup and tuner upgrades and the case, I'm looking at close to $1400. On top of never having spent any time with a PRS, let alone a PRS 7 string, and the fact that the warranty would be voided after the upgrades. And I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to return it either if I didn't jive with it.

The cons seem to be stacking up higher than I'd like. This was a spur of the moment idea, I think I should pass on it and probably go for one of the Schecter's.

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

if you're buying from axe palace it should be nice and properly set up.
    Personally I'd grab one of the schecters. I've tried a bunch of their lineup at guitar center, and any schecter over 600$ new is a damn fine guitar ime. They usually have the best specs for your money besides agile or LTD.

14. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

In my opinion you can't go wrong with Schecters especially the SLS Elites. Like you said, the PRS lacks features. That's why the only SE I'll ever buy (and just recently did) was Mark Holcomb's signature because it has all of the upgrades we want, except locking tuners. With all of the features the Schecter has and phenomenal pickups, the SLS Elite is absolutely the better option. Plus if you looking on Reverb, I've found SLS Elite B-stocks for only $900.

Keep in mind between the SLS Elite and Apocalypse, the necks are different. The SLS has the ultra thin C shape while the Apocalypse has the normal thin C. They are very different feeling.

LeviathanKiller and FILTHnFEAR like this.
  15. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

I've played the 6 string Apocalypse, but not the 7. Really liked the neck. I want to try something with a thicker neck than my 1527, as the last couple years my hand cramps up more, so I think more to hold on to is what I need so im not pinching the super thin flat neck.

I'm also wondering how passive sounding/feeling the Fishmans are compared to regular passives. It would be cool to have the active sound as well, but I much prefer passives. I've heard a few people here and there say that while still really good, they kind of lacked the dynamics of traditional passives. So that kind of concerns me about the SLS Elites.

16. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

If you are concerned about neck thickness and Fishmans, then don't go for the SLS. The ultra thin C is super thin, even thinner than my RG752. It's definitely not flat, but definitely super thin, if not the thinnest 7 string neck I've played.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  17. secretpizza

secretpizza SS.org Regular

Does anyone know what the fretboard radius on these is? I see that you can upgrade the pickups through the Axe Exchange, which might make it worth the purchase, but I don't know how I feel about a 10" radius baritone 7 string.

18. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

It's 10. I have one of these and it really plays awesome, I was very surprised at the excellent quality of the fretwork. Normally id never choose a 10" radius on any guitar but for whatever reason it works great on a PRS. Every CU24 I've had has been a shred machine. I guess some things are more than the sum of their parts.

19. secretpizza

secretpizza SS.org Regular

Cool, that's good to know. I've owned a couple 6 string PRSs and the 10" radius never bothered me, but I don't think I've ever played a 7 with less than 15" radius.

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

The apocalypse pickups are very good. You can't really go wrong with those pickups imo. I enjoy the fishman moderns but they're still not quite the same as passives imo. They're great pickups as well, but it's a matter of what kind of sound you want. The fishmans are definitely better suited to more modern heavy stuff.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.