PRS Multiscale 7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MSUspartans777, Jun 4, 2017.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I mean, its expensive, especially for a guitar, but it's not like you need to be a millionaire.

2. narad

narad SS.org Regular

It's not even really that expensive for a PRS. That first green one was pretty outrageous, but there was another one in a Japan dealer site the other week that was around $11-12k IIRC. There's plenty of pretty normal looking private stocks that get up there just with weird wood options.

3. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

“Base” price for a 7-string Private Stock was about 10k or 11k when I checked last year. You get a lot of fancy stuff at that price but can’t get any discount for a simple build.

4. MaxOfMetal

Yeah, all the "Five Figure" builders go with a high (obviously, it's in the name :lol:) buy-in price, but the amount of options that are included can be staggering. I remember being told that pretty much anything is on the table and the biggest factor was time and how much work PRS had to get through.

5. caspian

caspian wanderer

I'm inclined to think that people who spend millions of dollars on yachts are douchebags, and the same applies to people who are willing to drop over 10k on a guitar that they won't really play.

The guitar itself is kinda cool looking, but in many ways I've tended to view the gaudier top end PRS stuff in a similar way to, I dunno, an expensive looking/conspicuously placed Rolex watch. Basically "I'm rich, and you can safely assume that nothing about me has any depth whatsoever". Be nice if there was a cheaper/less wanky looking version

6. MaxOfMetal

If caring about what people think about what you buy/have makes you a douchebag, what does caring about what others buy/have make you? :shrug:

I make decent money. I've worked really hard to be able to have a certain amount of disposable income. Every so often I buy myself something big, a high end guitar, another car to work on/play with, etc. Granted I've never dropped five figures on an instrument, but if I had to add up my last few purchases it would probably get there. I'm not a touring musician or professional driver, do I not deserve nice things if they make me happy?

Vyn, StevenC, technomancer and 4 others like this.
  7. caspian

caspian wanderer

Someone who's bemused/concerned at the ridiculous level of inequality in the world?

I'm not saying "become a monk". I am saying, if you're dropping 15k on an instrument with no added functionality over one that's a third of the cost, then a good, long look at yourself is long overdue

edit: I'm not a pauper either, my main guitars are a Gibson LP and an ESP MII tele 7. Still, they're functional instruments, not "look how rich I am" instruments, like this PRS.

8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

meh. this is like the least substantial hill to plant your flag on.

guitarists have an insane notion that every vaguely guitar shaped object has to be played and used like a the cheapest guitar or it's not right man.

whatever.

9. MaxOfMetal

You can try to frame it as an ethics issue, but good luck after the ad hominem. There's a couple more fallacies there, but oh well.

I wouldn't call a Gibson and ESP pure functional instruments. They're awesome though, but don't worry, I'm not going to attack you for wanting nice things because it makes you feel good.

10. narad

narad SS.org Regular

And then you meet the guy and find out he plays guitar better than you! And you meet the rolex guy and he's actually super interesting! And then you try to call them out on wasting money, but they actually already donated 50% of their income this year to fight malaria! And then you have to like compare biceps with these guys, but they both lift, and then you have to drop trou and jeez, you just can't seem to edge them out there either! :D

At some point you just have to be content and happy with the type of person you're trying to be. Someone spending money on something nice doesn't make you less of a person, so you don't have to feel bad about it. And it doesn't make you less of a person, so you don't need to hypothesize about what kind of shortcoming they have that somehow balances it all out.

If you're annoyed that someone else buys a nice thing, then in your own words "a good, long look at yourself is long overdue"

You do you.

11. diagrammatiks

i'm rich and i'll i do all day is watch videos on youtube and post on guitar forums. so like. if the shoe fits right.

12. MaxOfMetal

You're just proving narad right, as only the most interesting people post on guitar forums. True story.

13. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Yea, but we're all doing that... :D

14. MaxOfMetal

We're all just so cool and interesting. :agreed:

narad likes this.
  15. diagrammatiks

it's like all people are equally terrible.

I just think it's funny that guitarists live in some bubble where 500 dollars is super ok. and 10k means you are the richy rich.

16. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

"stop liking things I dont like or you're immoral"

what happened to just liking cool guitars?

Anquished likes this.
  17. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

But dude, if you have money you're evil, didn't you get the memo?

18. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

You must be poor, or bitter. Probably both :lol:

19. caspian

caspian wanderer

When I'm poor and I talk about inequality, I'm bitter. When I'm rich and I talk about inequality, I'm a hypocrit! It's almost like people don't like thinking about the topic, like it makes them uncomfortable. Liking nice things, liking aesthetically pleasing things =/= spending $15k on a guitar and thinking that it's a moral/ethical thing to do. It's not hypocritical to think the former is fine and think the latter is gross.

Anyway, I'm well aware that having this argument on a forum that's about fetishizing expensive musical gear is a) bizarre and b) a waste of everyone's time.. But hey if we all had better things to do with ourselves, then we wouldn't be on a forum, arguing about a guitar none of us is going to own, would we? :p

20. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Well it's not hypocritical in the sense that there isn't a universal ethical code to live by -- you define your own ethics. But it's sort of a glass houses thing -- you basically better living like a monk to criticize the luxury purchases of others that do no direct harm to anyone if you're not to be a hypocrite to some degree.

Samark likes this.