PRS Lovefest

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Devotion, Apr 8, 2011.

1. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

Apparently the CEs were held up, the Velas were not, so that's weird. Had a string break yesterday so have it soaking a bit more!

2. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Picked up a '95 custom 24 for a stupidly good price, 15 year old me is so psyched

3. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Was it the one TMZ posted yesterday?

4. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Let's see it. That is a fantastic year for Custom 24's.

5. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Haha what?! They’re both made from the same woods! :lol: GG, customs! :rofl:

6. hairychris

Well, to be fair I don't think that there were any Velas in that shipment and Customs may have sorted it out.

As far as I can find out the first Velas that UK dealers saw only arrived last week (seriously, there were none in the country until then at all).

7. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

soon as it's in my hands I'll do a NGD here :yesway:

8. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

helll yeahhhhhh

9. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Nice one! I was actually thinking about getting it hahah - been looking for a '95.

10. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

can anyone point me into the right direction for this? its not really related to PRS specifically, but if i was to purchase a used guitar with rosewood board or neck from across the border, how does CITES play a roll in this transaction?

11. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

“If you’re in the USA, and want to sell your instrument internationally, you must apply for a re-export license from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Download the form here.

If you’re in the UK, you can download the forms you’ll need here. APHA has this page that points you to addiitonal resources.

In the rest of the world, you need to contact the service for your country. The CITES website helps you find your contact agency; click here for more information.”

Seems the seller would need to work with the local agency (in the case of the US, it’s the US Fish and Wildlife Service) to get all the paperwork together and approved *before* they would let you bring it across the border or ship it there. Never gone through the process myself so not sure how easy or difficult it may be, you could contact your agency in Canada and ask them directly though.

soliloquy likes this.
  12. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

About to start on a two-week run tomorrow with my S2 SC Satin and Cu22. Curious to see how the wear differs between day 1 and day 16 haha.

AkiraSpectrum and garrettb like this.
  13. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

super excited to have picked up an artist relations custom 24! guitar center had it listed at 3800 on the tag and i paid 1900 shipped when looking online. it looks like it was built for aaron marshall in 2014--it's all satin and is a hardtail. shipping from CA to AZ so i'm hoping to have it by the weekend

anyone in here know if there's much of a difference between core 24's and artist-made ones? i don't really know what to expect because gc had the usual potato pics and zero info..

garrettb likes this.
  14. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Artist grade basically just adds finish/wood/hardware options, and a higher grade top.

15. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I couldn't personally detail any differences between ones made for artists versus those on the shelf for us mere mortals. If you email PRS Customer Service the serial number, they can tell you all about the guitar.

16. garrettb

garrettb Lurkin'

Artist Relations guitars can have some special features not normally available outside of Private Stock. There was no hardtail option for Custom 24 in 2014, so that's one tweak that's easy to tell.

As suggested, you can run the SN by PRS. You can also check under the pickups for info. You can plug the MODCAT code into this decoder for details, too: http://www.toragraphics.com/modcat/

You're thinking of Artist Package, not an Artist Relations guitar.

17. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

yeah thats what i'm afraid of. i do see guitar center is willing to ship to canada, but i wonder how they would charge for CITES, if charge at all. used guitars in canada are hard to find. or if you dont find one, they aren't willing to part from it....

my search continues

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  18. hairychris

I think that all sales/trades are affected. Going abroad, buying the guitar and then going through with it as a personal instrument is a way of getting around the issue (in the UK at least) but obvs not a simple option in most cases!

19. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

This guitar is old enough to drink!

[​IMG]
    1995 Custom 24, red 10 top, black back and neck. Only modification is someone added gold pickup rings.

[​IMG]
    tons of movement in the top, it's hard to catch all the figure in a photo but in person it's really deep and even. This would be an artist grade top nowadays, lol

[​IMG]
    Whoever the original owner was, they babied this thing. Despite the dents and dings on the body, the neck is absolutely pristine- not a scratch on it. That fretboard is a lovely deep red.

[​IMG]
    I had forgotten what a pain in the ass these gen 1 locking tuners are, lmao

[​IMG]
    Back in the day, the "10" on 10 tops was stamped into the finish instead of being written in along with the serial number (blacked out in the photo only, don't worry).

[​IMG]
    22 years of dust, sweat, and dead skin cells, hauhgludhglduhalhguhduh

The thing sounds out of this world. The HFS/Vintage Bass pickup combo doesn't get enough love these days- I prefer it to any of the modern PRS pickup models. Playability is your typical PRS, ie flawless. Some people don't like the 5-way rotary switch but I think it's fine. Gold hardware has held up well over the years, and the dings in the finish just give it character, IMO. I restrung it and set it up for drop-B and it sounds heavy as fuck. This is a guitar I've fantasized about owning for over two decades (even the finish is right!), but never got around to pulling the trigger on one. 15 year old Jeph is in HEAVEN right now.

20. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Man, that is absolutely fantastic. I love those early to mid 90's customs. I've played one identical to that ('95 non-matching scarlett birds with gold) and loved it.

I had a hell of a time with the locking tuners too at first but got to the point where I could do a full string change and tune in less than 5 minutes. I just line the slot up parallel to the fingerboard and facing outward, run the string up straight through and give it a slight turn to lock it down while pulling back on the string toward the body of the guitar.

jephjacques likes this.