PRS Guitars?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Ouroboros11, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Ouroboros11

Ouroboros11 SS.org Regular

I've been an ibanez fanboy all my life, and have several RG prestiges. The thing is, I kind of want a little more beef on that neck. I'm looking into other metal guitars and see that PRS are used by a lot of artists. What would be a good PRS in the 1.5k-2k range to look into? I notice they either run cheap or very expensive.

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

What kind of 'metal' are you interested in? Most PRS guitars, especially those made more recently, use medium output pickups and aren't naturally 'aggressive'. Although, some PRS guitars do have high output pickups (usually older ones, or the Tremonti models, etc.). Not that pickup output matters, you can play any style with medium output pickups....

Anyways, if you are interested in 'modern metal', especially 'downtuned' and 'djenty' tones, you could look at the PRS SE Holcomb model, which has a longer scale length than a regular PRS, flatter fretboard radius, and contemporary pickups (Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omega). This is the signature model from Mark in Periphery.

If you want a more traditional PRS, especially a USA one, I would look into the PRS CE 24. Wide-thin neck (thicker than an Ibanez but not overly thick), 24 frets, USA made, great quality overall, american PRS pickups (medium output though, if that matters to you).

If you want a chunkier neck you could look at the S2 range which use a thicker neck profile. Personally, I really like the neck profile of the S2 satins, which is similar to the regular S2 range but slightly thinner because it has a satin/nitro (?) finish. Be aware that you will feel the 'pores' of the neck wood though because no filler is used.

You could also look on the used market for a Core PRS USA Custom 24 (or 22), which will get you the nicer aesthetics (nicer bird inlays, deeper body carve, nicer top, higher quality hardware).

metale likes this.
  3. Ouroboros11

Thank you for that informative post! I personally love the feel of the neck of my Gibson SG (2010+ model). An intermediate between the RG neck and my SG neck would be ideal.

As for metal...i'm not sure. I'm looking for something to play in D standard- some melodeath and prog lead.

As for pickups, I typically just swap those for some aftermarket (BKP for the win!)

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  4. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Pickup a used CE or CU22/24. I think PRS makes some of the most versatile guitars on the market. I have an older PRS Hollowbody with admittedly lower output pickups, and it still does some really convincing hard rock tones. I can't get it into Petrucci type tones, but very close.

5. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Yep.
    You don't need the super fancy private stock to get a good guitar from them.

JSanta likes this.
  6. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

The S2 models are really nice playing. They may not have the "flash" that the core models have, but they still play like butter. An added benefit to those is, you can get them in satin finishes, and get your metal on!!!

7. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

This. It's pretty impossible to beat those for the price. They are great workhorse guitars.

JSanta likes this.
  8. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

I’ve had a few custom 24’s over the years and they’ve all been fantastic; but my 97 ce24 is my favorite PRS of all time. The neck profile is perfect and I love unpainted maple necks so I’ll probably never sell it. The other bonus of older used PRS guitars is the non 10 tops in many cases are nicer than the modern day 10 tops.

9. Ouroboros11

Thanks guys! I love my new RG prestige a lot, but the basswood seems lacking to me. Very dry tone, doesn't ring at all. I have an old RGA121 which has a mahogany body and I love it, but the newer prestige models don't seem to have mahogony.

10. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

This is very true, too. Back in the early 90's a 10 top was a 10 top.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  11. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I'd say check out the PRS SE Holcomb model, a PRS CE24 (new or used), or a used PRS Custom 24.
    The regular S2 necks are a little on the chunky side, but an S2 Satin neck is slimmer and quite comfortable in my opinion.

Just make sure you grab something with the wide-thin or pattern-thin neck if you want something bigger than an ibanez yet smaller than your SG. The regular 'pattern' profile is kind of chunky, as is the older wide-fat profiles.

12. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

A lot of new additions on the CE range lately... satin models, maple fretboards (EU models only I guess)... thos are really Worth the money. If you want to stock with a set neck, the S2 range offers a wide choice of options...

13. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

The S2s are by all accounts fantastic, and you can usually find used USA PRSi on eBay/reverb for decent prices.

14. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

Maybe check out the dustie waring model.

Though im not sure how much these go for in price..

15. Ziricote

Ziricote SS.org Regular

Promotion and money is thrown at them so they use them. I guess it pays off for the companies if people like you now thinking of buying this guitars because of this reason

16. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I'm sure that's the case for some players, but I've seen a lot of videos and talked to PRS artists like Emil Werstler and Boscoe France that were using PRS before they were ever PRS artists. PRS makes great guitars, that's the bottom line. I love mine.

17. Jake

Jake GAS Master Contributor

A little late to this discussion but I've got 4 PRSi right now (5th incoming). 2 with the wide neck one is pattern regular I think? and one with the pattern thin (incoming Tremonti is pattern thin) and all 3 of them are incredibly comfortable and do metal just fine. The only downside I can think of is stock pickups- My McCarty and Custom 24-08 are definitely more suited for general rock or blues but my Singlecut with a tremonti set in it absolutely crushes metal stuff.

18. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

I would support the S2 satin series recommendation. I bought one after trying a floor model at samash - then went online and got one for 600$

19. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

I go back and forth between an Ibanez Prestige RGD 7, a core series PRS P24, a Prestige RG 7 string, and a CE24 with no problem.

In the 1-2k range with PRS, a CE24 is a solid choice. The neck is a bit beefier than Ibanez six string necks, but it is still considered as "pattern thin" by PRS. I believe the stock pickups are 85/15, which are very articulate and a bit on the brighter, medium-low output side of things.

I have one of the Sweetwater blackout satin models as found here https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CE24BLACKOUT

The S2 line, like the CE line, is US made. Both share USA PRS pickups and cheaper import bridge and tuner components to keep the price down. Between the two, the S2 line can run a bit wider of a cost range ($1,200 - $2,200) where the CE line runs closer to $1,899 - $1,999. The CE line has bolt-in neck construction and nicer tops, in general, where the CE line tends toward solid colors and plain tops. Both share PRS's top notch quality control and they are more consistent than the import models of the SE line.

I also have a core series PRS for comparison, with a much nicer top, fat mahogany neck, and awesome v12 finish. I do not feel like I have to baby the CE24 nearly as much though. The core series P24 is definitely a home and studio baby, whereas I would feel okay taking the CE24 out to a jam session or show. Both have great fretwork and very consistent necks. The P24 came stock with 57/08 pickups, which were a bit too vintage for my tastes. I upgraded with Duncan Custom Shop Alpha Omega pickups, since I had bought it right before the Holcomb models were released. The 58/15 in the CE24 can get more aggressive and percussive with the tuning of the high frequency response, but I may still put some ceramic mag Duncans in it for consistency.

Hopefully that info helps guide your decision. I personally think that US made PRS and Ibanez Prestige models are among the better production guitars available stateside for six and seven strings respectively.

20. Jake

Jake GAS Master Contributor

I haven't played the SC's or the CU S2's but I played a Semi-Hollow Mira S2 and it actually was incredible. The shop that had it wanted far too much for it but damn that guitar was nice.