Prometheus (Ridley Scott returns to the Alien franchise)

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Scar Symmetry, Sep 26, 2011.

1. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

As far as understanding vs not understanding the plot, I don't think its unusual for a movie like this to leave you wondering a bit what the hell just happened after the first watch, then picking up more and piecing things together with the second viewing, etc.

Take pulp fiction - definitely a repeat viewing kinda movie, but not many complaints about it since it all ties together so well. With Prometheus, i expected more to be revealed with the second watch, but what i was expecting just wasn't there. It still felt loosely tied together. I was not even left wondering what happens next all that much. Not because i didn't get it, just because the plot was not really executed that well.

Still a fun movie to watch, i enjoyed it, but i can understand the plot complaints. Great idea for the plot, not so great execution.

2. fps

fps Kit

Hahaha. This film was like being lectured by a toddler. That's why people don't like it. It was a stupid movie. It was not intelligent at all. It pretended to be intelligent. And you fell for it.

3. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

Agreed with VB more or less. For the most part it just wasn't done in an elegant way. The only part of the movie that stands out in memory was David's arc... him knowing more than most of the others and acting on that privileged knowledge was a good play on what was known or unknown.

L1ght, I think what was supposed to give it away was 1) when the sacrificed Engineer dissolves into the water you see chromosomes and cells and things sort of forming/transforming. I think that idea kind of ties into the "primordial ooze" that supposedly housed the first life on Earth, and gives you an idea that it was important in the early evolutionary process. 2) the cave paintings suggest that the Engineers had some guiding influence on pre-historic man, 3) that the crew refers to them as Engineers indicates that they believe them responsible for Engineering humankind.

4. ST3MOCON

ST3MOCON Precursor

I don't think it pretended to be anything than what it was. It was a good movie, maybe not 100% of what it could have been but that's really hard when no matter what you are going to have people on both sides. I agree that certain elements in the movie weren't executed 100% this was a giant project to take. But I am still happy with the result. There was no lecturing just pieces you put together yourself and on my second watch through I noticed new things.

David's arc is definitely the most interesting. I think following David more closely in the sequel would be awesome. The way he feels about his creators and see us meet ours is very interesting

5. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Fixed. Sorry, but I couldn't help but to :lol: @ "pedal stool". :wub:

I know I'm probably alone in this, but I bought the Bluray on release day, and I've found that every time I watch this movie, I like it a little bit more. I'm kind of obsessed with it, now.. :lol:

6. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

I think one reason it gets so much flak is that the anticipation factor was so high. Some may say it was hyped, but for me I was just excited because this is exactly the kind of movie I tend to be into. To see something with so much potential be marred by such trivial things that could have been handled better just feels like what could have been one of the greatest movies ever went to waste. Compare to District 9 for example... probably a less exciting story with an even more high and mighty "theme", but they executed on every element and I really felt something during that movie that stuck with me throughout it and for the following 2 days. That is the kind of thing they could have had if the movie didn't have these issues cropping up in every scene.

7. ST3MOCON

ST3MOCON Precursor

This is kind of what im talking about here. I really think you should watch it again.

Ill help you. The engineer drank that ooze right? His body started to break apart and he fell into the river. In the river his cells started to break down and his DNA broke down but as quickly as his DNA was destroyed you see it Rebuilding new cells. The river Carries the new life and from there it spreads. Its all shown in the opening sequence.

you don't need to see any alien movies to pick up on any of the things i stated.

Just by looking at the engineer you can see they were going for the Perfect body. Similar to Greek gods. Also very angel like. He sacrificed himself and the scene had religious under tones like the clothing and the witnessing saucer space craft "different in shape from the ship at the end".

If you guys want a real mindfuck watch 2001 a space odyssey lol
    not comparing the two but at the end of that movie i was like WTF did i just watch.

I dont really think prometheus was meant for the average viewer (rated R, Sci fi fan boys) Im sorry if i was a little cranky last night with my post but seriously.

Thanks DUDER and no you are not alone lol Im a pretty huge nerd with this movie so i guess thats my problem lol

8. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

A couple of the deleted scenes (on the Bluray) help give context to some of the more common parts people seem to take issue with. For instance:

One deleted scene shows Millburn acknowledging the tiny little meal-worm-like lifeforms crawling through the soil in the pyramid, long before the scene in which he so willingly (and unwisely) chooses to interact with the "hammerpede".

Anyway, I think the fact that we're still talking about it months after release is the biggest indicator that the film has done something right. :yesway:

9. ST3MOCON

ST3MOCON Precursor

yeah synrgy you are right that makes a lot more sense. That was really the only part in the movie where i was like huh? I love the deleted scene towards the end with the engineer. I loved his fascination. Made him seem more gentle.

Another thing that was cool is that Ridley said the engineer doesn't know how to fight. Interesting.

This movie always bring up interesting theories and discussions for sure.

10. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

>doesn't know how to fight
    >kills with one punch

:lol:

11. Gothic Headhunter

Gothic Headhunter Born on a Monday

The movie is called "Prometheus" for a reason.

12. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I generally enjoyed it. It definitely wasn't perfect, but I didn't find too many flaws. There were definitely a lot of WTF is going on here moments, but they were running around, pressing buttons they may or may not know the function of in what seems to be an advanced, alien biotech lab. It seems more realistic that when you accidentally unleash alien biological weapons you don't know quite what is going on.

13. glassmoon0fo

glassmoon0fo Some Say...

Just for the record, I totally meant "half the people in the room DIDN'T understand the joke" for my analogy :lol:. And, I guess I missed it, but the ship in the beginning of the movie looked like the same design as the one later on. I've only seen the beginning once though, so hmm. Anyone have a screenshot of it?

ST3MOCON likes this.
  14. ROAR

ROAR oaf tobar

hahaha if you can't piece together Prometheus even roughly you
    should probably take a basic english class and learn about plot,
    characters, setting, all that jazz.

You can easily erase the memory of Alien from your mind and watch
    Prometheus while not being confused

15. L1ght

L1ght Truth Over Triumph

The "Engineers" didn't seem all that angelic to me considering they wanted to destroy the human race/Earth with that biochemical/ooze weapon. I don't understand that part either. Why they wanted to kill humans.

Also, glassmoon, the saucer in the beginning is like this flat oval plate, it's solid. Whereas the ship towards the end is more like a donut. It's circular all around but has a hole in the middle.

16. L1ght

L1ght Truth Over Triumph

That's interesting.. I never knew that basic English classes actually teach you about movie plots, characters, settings, and all that jazz. You must be thinking of your theater-art classes, right?

17. ST3MOCON

ST3MOCON Precursor

By angel like I mean first impression. From what I can piece together and this is mostly speculation. The engineers are sort of like angels, we the humans had become out of control and were not obeying our creator "god" 2000 years ago. Now I'm not sure if the engineers were acting on their own at their facility or not. You could also imagine some kind of jealousy coming from them? Angela jelous of gods love for humans. Remember we are not perfect like the angels and we have free will where Angela do not.

This stuff is what I've picked up from Ridley and my own imagination based on what he has said and what others have pointed out. He did say that in the next movie they are headed to paradise "heaven". So I'm really interested in seeing what's going to go on there. Ridley also said that their is another species behind the scenes. You aren't really meant to try and figure all this out from the movie though. This is kind of special info for people looming up interviews and watching special features lol

Anyways Ridley also said the engineers didn't know how to fight, that's why he hit people with his palms/grabbed and threw people. It's possible that they are a somewhat peaceful species but our arrogance in seeking them out and playing god really pissed him off. Not to mention the violence they inflicted on shaw and the. Asked for immortality.

Idk guys the movie is full of interesting ideas and maybe it wasn't spelled out well enough or lacked something but visually this movie is amazing and I love the story :)

18. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I didn't see the engineers as angels or anything. To me, they seemed like what their name implied- engineers. I thought they created life on earth as an experiment, and eventually either decided that it failed (hence why they broke communication with humans) or just got all the data they needed and decided to move on. The hologram and lack of destruction of the earth seems to show that something went wrong before they could destroy us. I would assume that will be answered in the second movie.

19. L1ght

L1ght Truth Over Triumph

I thought it was pretty clear what went wrong.. The ooze that they intended to use on us, was unleashed upon them. At least that's my take on it. However, I could be wrong because when those holograms were running, they were running IN to the room with the ooze shells or whatever, rather then running away from it. Idk..

20. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

That's generally what I thought. Again, I'll chalk it up to futuristic biological weapons facility. There's just so much that could go wrong, I don't think it matters exactly how it went wrong.