Project Headless Builds - Purple Burst/Slime Green content!!

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by lewis, Apr 3, 2018.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Brand new guitar turned up today to add to my current Purple headless.
    Kit guitar someone purchased a while back imported from the USA to Northern Ireland, but fell out of love finishing the project.

Enter me snapping it up for a bargain (£215 incl delivery)!!

New guitar first -

Pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Specs
    Scale: 25-26"
    Neck: 5 piece Canadian Maple / Rosewood
    Neck Shape: Modern Ergoneck V
    Neck Finish: Antique Treated 100% Nitrocellulose Satin Lacquer
    Fretboard: Antique Treated Maple
    Fretboard Inlay: Glowfrets block
    Frets: Jumbo Stainless Steel
    Trussrod: Spoke-wheel Adjustment
    Body: 2 Piece American Alder (Light-weight)
    Body Finish: Open Pore Slime Green 100% Nitrocellulose Satin Lacquer
    Pickguard: 3 Ply Mint Green

The Aim

[​IMG]
    (Note I will be using single bridges instead of this Hipshot /\ )

Purbleburst

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Specs
    25.5 inch scale
    Roasted Maple neck
    Ebony fretboard
    Nickel frets
    Chrome Hipshot bridge (Ordered - yet to install)
    Mahogany Body
    Offset dots

Group shot

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got plenty of hardware/Electronics/accessories to buy for both yet.

But at this stage, both guitars as is have cost me about £550, maybe less!.....

2. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Hey, that pink one? Is that one of those Chinese 'Grote' guitars I think there called?

I saw one online today I thought looked killer but wasn't sure how it played/sounded and how bad the craftsmanship was on them plus how easy it would be to Mod.

Think I should snag one? Do you enjoy yours?

lewis likes this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Yeah it is.
    Ordered through "Asian customised guitars" or something similar, on Aliexpress. Can vouch for them. And they can offer any mods/tweaks you want. I paid $25 extra for ebony etc. Only thing he cant do atm is multiscale and glow in the dark stuff. You can get any colour/veneer top you want though.

Neck is super straight and it feels nice and solid. Craftmanship is fine considering the low cost. If you do get one, i recommend getting the locking headpiece like ive done post purchase. Its way more stable than the stock non locking one that you felt the strings slip in when doing bends resulting in the occasional ping.
    This completely stopped with the new headpiece.

I am in the process of paying off a brand new chrome hipshot bridge for it i ordered direct. The stock one is ok and does hold its tune well, but i dont like its adjustment and it feels awkward under the hand.
    The hipshot isnt a direct replacement but i believe it will cover up the stock bridges holes and just require new ones being drilled. No big deal and still look neat.

But yeah i really like mine and with a few mods its going to be great. It is obviously not a strandberg and im trying to up my saving pot to get a real one, one day. But until then this is cool.
    Neck is just a medium chunky C profile.

4. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

No, I read all 22 pages of your purple Grote thread yesterday after asking you this question, I realize it's not a Strandberg lol I won't open up that can of worms again.

I just didnt read up on how it actually was. I have a nice 7 and and a nice 6 string that I dont want to mess around with so I was thinking of buying a cheap-o guitar to goof around with. I've seen others online with a fanned fret but they seem totally wrong. An extreme angle at the 1st fret and it doesn't go straight until the 24th fret.

[​IMG]

lewis likes this.
  5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

all the pages? haha wow. You are a better man than me. I never wana read that thread again lol

Yeah they are perfect to mess around with. Excellent little mod platforms. Its why I feel comfortable enough to drill holes and replace bridges with mine haha.

that fan does seem odd haha.
    plus the fake strandberg looking logo is a joke.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

that's a half-fan, it actually makes sense as far as not having to have an angled bridge/pickups while still getting some of the ergonomic benefits of a multiscale. Granted if the fan is too extreme it's not comfortable, and that looks like a more extreme spread for a 6 string.

ElRay, Wolfos and lewis like this.
  7. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

That's what it looks like to me, the first few frets look silly while the rest of it isn't bad I'd rather spread it over the whole fretboard with the centre of the fan near the middle of the neck.

If you look at Lewis, his green guitar has a nice fan like I mention but manages to have the straight pickups as well, and a thumb wheel truss rod adjuster I just noticed! Nice!

lewis likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ok, so I think Ive done enough planning/research now to settle on a final setup for the Green one.

Planned Mods

EMG 81TWX-R Bridge in Red (81x with a push/pull coil tap with the single coil closer to the neck)
    EMG 89X-R Neck in Red (85x with a push/pull coil tap with an single coil built in closer to the neck)
    EMG TKO Killswitch on output (already purchased)
    Neutrik locking Jack to replace the EMG output
    Vinyl Carbon Fibre wrap the pickguard
    Red Switch Tip
    Graphtech black nut
    Hipshot black knobs

Ive re-emailed Hipshot regards to a Bridge Ive seen they offered at one time or another that would be perfect for this build. Will wait and see what they say.

Headpiece I might go ABM if i can catch it when its in stock. They look really cool and different.

so:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    BlackMastodon, Ivars V and jwade like this.
  9. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

That bridge looks cool, I don't think I've seen that before.

lewis likes this.
  10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

just heard back....
    they have stopped selling it :(

IT WOULD BE PERFECT TOO.
    What a damn shame. I hate when companies dont offer custom options like say a pickup company would.
    Charge me abit more Hipshot and make that for me...

Going to be stuck needing a Mortgage and buying ABM stuff at this rate haha

11. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

hipshot was weird about that bridge. Ormsby was originally going to use it and then hipshot wouldn't make it anymore...

12. KnightBrolaire

ormsby is using it on the goliaths. Perry said that they didn't have enough for all the goliaths in run 4 and needed to outsource parts from the korean portion of hipshot to fill the last couple goliaths without bridges. No idea if perry is telling the truth since hipshot wouldn't magically quit making something they make money off of.

lewis likes this.
  13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

also, they done some calculations for me and confirmed their normal headless bridge option (non multiscale) does not have enough room on it to do the fan for the guitar (26-25), so I cant even use the standard option haha.

It really feels like there is not enough big companies, offering headless guitar parts/options. And the options that do exist (ABM etc) are both way too overpriced and barely available. The ABM stuff comes in stock after weeks of waiting, then after a few days it seems is back out of stock again for weeks.

Nightmare.
    I mean it looks ok, but Im not sure if I want to trust the cheaper "Guyker" stuff for this particular guitar. I wanted this to be my main touring guitar and was willing to spend the extra money to get hardware more reliable (Abm seems TOO much money however). Hipshot and the products they have sold in the past would have been absolutely ideal. No idea how it makes sense to stop selling said products in this day and age when multiscale and headless guitars are just getting more and more common.

14. KnightBrolaire

look into tengdu, pretty sure it's the same guys that make the guyker crap, but they're about the cheapest option (ran me about 200USD for 8 strings worth of headless single bridges/saddles). Not as good of quality as hipshot or T4M but also significantly cheaper (and heavier than the T4M).
    The other option would be buy the hipshot bridge and try to source longer intonation bolts so that you could use it for multiscale. You'd probably have to contact a specialty fastener/hardware store like fastenal.

lewis likes this.
  15. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

last I remember when I asked him about it...he said that hipshot wasn't making the bridges but the factory that makes a lot of hardware for big names was making the bridge for them.

after much searching on facebook it seems like the hipshot bridge saga is a confusing clusterfuck

lewis likes this.
  16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

thanks for this

I have messaged T4m just now just to get quotes on bridge and headpieces as I have no idea what to expect price wise.

Depending on the response, I will then look into Tengdu. Is that an Aliexpress type company or do they have their website etc?

If the latter is awkward to get a hold of and or still quite pricey anyway and the T4M quotes are also really really high, I may aswell just save up and pay the ABM price anyway.

Im hoping T4M come through though so cheers again for suggesting certain brands as I had no clue about some of these.

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

THIS /\
    what an earth is going on there?. They are a huge hardware brand and they seem to randomly be pulling products and making building and sorting modern guitars, a complete nightmare.

I expected much better customer service/help from them too tbh. Its like?. TAKE MY MONEY FFS. Do they not want orders?.

18. KnightBrolaire

basically all run 4 goliaths will have hipshot bridges (other than some lefty models), they'll probably will use OEM bridges on later runs
    Here's the info straight from perry himself:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is tengda's website:
    http://www.tengda-online.com/en/contact.asp
    T4M ran me about 400+USD for 8 bridges/headpieces

19. Ivars V

Ivars V SS.org Regular

Looking forward for Grote hipshot bridge mod. If that works out, maaan, I'd be all over grote.

lewis likes this.
  20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

jeez what a complete mess. This could easily ruin them (hipshot). Their rep must be taking a massive dent?.

Also thanks for their website link. Ah ok so yeah in that case, it seems like they will be more than ABM prices.
    Looking more and more likely that I should just go that way. 6 AMB singles are around £170. Their headpieces are £15

[​IMG]

Might aswell go this way then really.

you and me both dude haha.
    I will take proper pics too once im at that stage of installation so you can see exactly how it will/wont work etc haha

Seems from preliminary measuring, the Hipshot mounting holes are in a different place to the stock bridge (so just got to drill those new holes) and that the hipshot bridge should also cover the stock bridge holes too so in theory, its win/win