Project finished/NGD Kramer Focus 4000

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by kreaturesleeper, Nov 28, 2016.

1. kreaturesleeper

kreaturesleeper SS.org Regular

So around 7 years ago I picked up a body and a neck form the now defunct kramerforum. It moved with me from place to place but I never did anything with it. I would buy parts for it, but they would get used for other projects, I would buy pickups for it, but they would get wired into other guitars. I almost finished it 3 years ago, but other things popped up and back into the closet it went. I mean, its a 30 year old guitar with a cracked body (which actually looks pretty awesome with the paint now) and a ton of dings, better things found their way onto the work bench.

Until I was presented with a 5 day weekend thanks to Thanksgiving and vacation days.

I started off sanding the body thinking I would respray it black, since although I thought the brown would look great with black hardware, you can't go wrong with all black everything. Then as I started sanding, layers of paint starting showing themselves. Apparently it had been resprayed more than a few times. I am currently replaying Fallout New Vegas, and the paint has a "plasma cowboy" sort of feel to it, so I decided to just clear coat over the top after everything is level and smooth. It definitely isn't for everyone, but given the style of the body, the headstock, and the era it came out of, a little neon shining through the top layer is a happy nod to a different time in music and culture.

After applying the waterslide headstock logo, cursing, sanding, wet sanding, more cursing, spraying clear, more cursing, wet sanding, and polishing, I finally assembled it today.

I wired up a Jackson J90C in the bridge, a bucker out of a Gibson Sonex 180 deluxe in the neck, gave them independent volume controls, and added a 2 way switch. The bridge is a mighty mite floyd knock off, which will be replaced with an original soon, the nut and tuners are original to the guitar.

I strung it up with DR pure blues 11's tuned to C Standard, and it covers a lot of ground out of my 5150/Fender Tonemaster 412, RD1H and GVT5H out of my Orange PPC112C, even the old Envoy 110 I've held onto for so many years pumped out some nice tones. I'm very pleased with how it came out.

My S5 doesn't take the greatest pictures anymore, which is unfortunate because I'm pretty proud of how the finish came out.

IMGUR ALBUM UNTIL I CAN FIX THE PICTURES: http://imgur.com/gallery/Ou8iz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

cant see any

3. kreaturesleeper

Sorry. Pictures are now fixed.

4. 693

693 SS.org Regular

Still no pictures, dude! :)

5. kreaturesleeper

Weird, they are showing up for me now. I'll keep trying to get them to work. Here is the album: http://imgur.com/gallery/Ou8iz

6. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

Imgur doesn't allow sites with marketplaces to embed images anymore unfortunately.

Raunchy looking guitar though!

7. kreaturesleeper

Ah okay, that makes sense. I will re-host them elsewhere. Thanks!

8. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

What a beauty! Congrats on getting it done.I have a project RG570 that I've been sitting on for a while, maybe it's time to actually do the refin

9. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

Thats super cool!!

10. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Love how you've incorporated the layers of old paint.

11. kreaturesleeper

Do it! It's so satisfying when its done. Just keep telling yourself that when you get sick of sanding.

Thanks! I was pleasantly surprised when it all came together.

12. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Fine work there man! Love Kramer guitars. Sadly not enough of them posted these days.