progress

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by SloeGin, Jul 9, 2018.

1. SloeGin

SloeGin SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

I have a question about progress or lack of it :)

I've been playing for months certain (basic) solo's, licks like: Nothing Else Matters, Hey Joe, Paranoid, You shook Me All Night Long but somehow it seems i 'm stuck at the same level.
    I practice everyday. Sometimes 3 hours and more a day but i have the feeling i'm just stuck no matter how much practice i put in.
    Am i practicing wrong?
    Would i benefit taking lessons from someone to help me push through the next level or do i just need to be patient?
    Is it possible i'm already at the highest level i can reach and soloing is just not for me?

Anyone else have experienced this? How did you solve it?

Thanks for your time and help!

2. mguilherme87

mguilherme87 SouthShoreSeven

Dont worry about how long its taking you to progress. Don't think that soloing isn't for you. If you love playing guitar, just keep playing and with time, it will come! Some people pick up on certain aspects of things easily, for others, technical proficiency takes time. But with anything, the more you do it, the better you will get. Its arguable that those who are quick to pick up on something are also quick to put it down because they never developed a good work ethic and practice routine. They quickly get to a certain point but never work towards getting to the next level, often times those that take longer to learn and develop good work and practice routines end up surpassing those who had a nack for playing. Steve Vai says that while he always had a great ear for composing, the physical aspect of playing guitar was extremely difficult for him! He practiced 9 hours a day! Just be mindful of how you are practicing, use a metronome to develop time and slow things down to make sure you get them right as opposed to trying to rush through a song messily. Getting a guitar instructor can be good because they can pick out certain habits that might be hurting your progress, but it isnt necessarily necessary at first. Some people dont like the strict atmosphere of lessons and prefer to learn what they want at their own pace. If you decide at any point that youd like further knowledge, then get a teacher! Good luck friend, dont get discouraged, dont compare yourself to others, just keep trying to be better than you were the day before! Keep playing and keep loving it! Rock on.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  3. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Yeah, there's no great secret; it just takes a lot of time and repetition. Probably more than you may have anticipated.

At my relative peak ability (already just over 20 years ago.. fffuuuu....) I was practicing for 6-8 hours a day.

Some individuals take more or less time than others - that's where 'talent' kicks in - but it does take time, for all of us, with or without the talent.

I'd be willing to wager that you have made progress; just maybe not as much as you wanted to, or maybe not in ways you readily recognize.

What's important is not how good you are or what you can play, but that you have fun doing it.

And, if I may... YMMV, but, with a couple decades of hindsight to fuel my perspective, I really wish I'd spent my early years learning classical and jazz techniques, even though those haven't ever really been my listening preference. The thing is, those skill-sets translate to rock, but not really the other way around. Just FWIW. :)

4. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

I have been playing pretty steady for around 12 years. If you look at all the time I have invested into practice it would blow your mind. I plateaued around 6 years ago and have been at the same skill level since then. When I see youtubers shred and they have only been playing for like 3 years, it pisses me off. But at the same time all those people are playing covers...so are they really that 'good'? Half of what makes a guitar player is composition IMO. What's the point of having all the chops in the world if you can't actually write something people want to listen to?

Lessons may help you, they may not. I have one of the best guitar players in the country living in my town (Chris Arp) and I have never taken lessons from him (all my friends have though), as I do not think they would actually help ME progress.

Also, I think you have to have a goal in mind. Is there a certain player you want to be like or certain styles you just have to learn?

For example, Aaron Tuner is my main guitar influence...so I'll never need to learn to sweep pick if I want to play like him :lol:

5. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

Just keep practicing!

I have made myself really focus on learning songs this year and trying to improve other areas on guitar and it isn't an easy process, and I think next year for me I will have more things figured out when making and assessing my goals.

A few months ago I didn't think I could play the Holy Diver solo, did it.

A month ago I felt that The Trooper solo would be something difficult for me in some areas, I love playing it now.

Sure I didn't finish the songs within 2-3 weeks, but I have learned them to where they are accurate and I am glad that it took longer for me to really just engrave the movements into my muscle memory.

Also do not rush through stuff either just to finish a song! You will end up having to go back and correct things which adds more time and might distract you/discourage you from learning correctly.

It is about time, patience, discipline, and determination.

If you can master those things you have no problem.

We all have stuff to work on and I am still trying to improve myself in patience, discipline, and determination, but it has gotten better over the year

6. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

How do you practise when you practise?

If you're doing something three hours a day and not getting better at it, there's a fair chance you're not practising in a productive way.

Of course, maybe you are getting better and you don't realise it. Sometimes you'll feel stuck for a long time and then like you've made a big jump. Sometimes you'll feel like you've gone backwards because you're forcing yourself to work on stuff you can't quite do yet.

Would you mind chucking up a video of you playing something you're fairly happy with, and something you're not so happy with? There might be something really obvious we could spot.