Problem with string tension

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Lordragnazzar, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Lordragnazzar

Lordragnazzar SS.org Regular

Hello there!
    So my new JL-7 FR is supposed to be setup from the store, but the high E string is too tense and hard to bend, compared to the other strings. What would be the problem? Is it related to the Floyd Rose springs or is it somethings else?

2. Garrit

Garrit SS.org Regular

Hi,
    normaly a Floyd Rose trem does not affect the tension of the strings, if it is set up correctly. I think the JL-7 comes with a 009 gauge string from the store. Due to the slightly larger scale length it would normaly lead to a medium tension if the string is tuned to E.

Just a random guess from my side:
    maybe they confused two of the higher strings when setting up the guitar or they just used a wrong string for the high E string. My suggestion for this would be: just change the strings and look if the problem is solved.

3. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

The high E is always the least bendable, it's just that free-floating trems make bending on all strings marginally more difficult. So does a longer scale length.

Easiest to bend is the high B, by a huge margin. I guess that's why they call it the B-string, heh heh. Not really.

4. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

A standard .009 .011 .. set has the E tighter than the B, and thinner plains have less pitch response to bending, perhaps try a .008.

5. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

What guitar do you usually play on? The JL-7 has a 26.5" scale which will increase string tension and it will especially be noticeable on the high E. However a .009 string should still be manageable, you'll get used to the extra tension eventually. You can try to remove one spring/re-setup your Floyd and it may help a little bit since you are working against the springs when you bend a string but the longer scale length is most likely what you are noticing.

6. Lordragnazzar

Lordragnazzar SS.org Regular

I have figured it out - turns out that the stock strings, which were supposed to be 09s ,are actually 10s :D that solved it