Probably more than you ever wanted to know about Paul Rhoney Guitars

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by Stereordinary, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Stereordinary

Stereordinary SS.org Regular

Hey everyone! I'm happy to say I finally joined up as an SS Vendor, something I've been meaning to do for a while now.

I'm Paul Rhoney, a professional guitar maker here in sunny Sacramento. I have my own line of original design guitars that I make out of a shop that I rent space in from fellow guitar maker Doug Kauer.

A little history...

I first got an interest in luthiery at the age of sixteen when I was first given a Stew-Mac catalog. I didn't jump right into it immediately, but it did give me the boost to start taking apart and messing with my guitars. I did a lot of mods and really awful paint jobs on my guitars for years, until about 2007 when I started buying books and tools and really getting into it. I had some jobs that got me really proficient at Adobe Illustrator, and so I drafted my ideas for guitars full-scale with that. Early 2010 I quit my regular corporate job, fully intending to work somewhere else, but my friends and family all encouraged me to give the guitar making business a go. That was probably a terrible idea, but I have been doing it ever since. Usually when people ask me how or where I learned to make guitars I tell them "I just made really bad guitars for a long time." That is to say I learned many things the hard way, by making mistakes and keeping track of what not to do again.

I sill love doing this, and these days I feel really good about the guitars I make. I hope that if any of you have the opportunity to play one of my guitars you won't pass it up.

A little detail...

Primarily my guitars are vintage-inspired but with modern influence. I have five models in my regular lineup, each of which I offer with many different options. Rather than list everything about the model lineup here, I'll invite all of you to visit my website and check them out for yourself.

Paul Rhoney Guitars

But, since this is SevenString.org, I will talk a little bit about me and my relationship with extended range guitars. For me I always liked down-tuned guitars, and Fender Bass VI's. I can respect the heck out of playing high up on the fretboard at 128 notes per second, but I've always preferred the mighty riff, the slow chug, brooding groove, and thicker, heavier tones. I'm a self-confessed post rock whore, so it seemed to me like for a long time there wasn't much out there in terms of bands that were playing ERG's and doing something that I liked with them. But recently I've found some stuff that I think is just awesome and it got me looking around at the ERG world. You guys are celebrating stuff here that the other forums just aren't paying attention to, and it's refreshing to someone like me. I like reading these discussions about hardware, woods, and everything else that goes into a guitar, and looking at it all with new eyes. Tradition is all fine and good, and my favorite guitars are all from the 50's and 60's too. But for me as a musician, I have no desire to make the same music and the same guitar tones that have been replicated countless times already. I just like things that are different, and rare. That, and I've played some amazing guitars in my life, and the feeling I got from it is totally addictive.

A little more...

So I now dub this the "official" Paul Rhoney Guitars mega master thread here on SS.org, and if you ever have any questions for me, or whatever general discussion about my guitars that you want to post, here's the place to do it. I will try to pop in here at least once a day and also try to post new stuff from the shop when I can. I'm not a fast builder, so progress is usually pretty slow, and I forget to take pictures sometimes. But I have a good lot of repeat customers and still have a lot of fun.

2. Stereordinary

3. Tom Drinkwater

Tom Drinkwater ERG/ERB Builder

I see that you've posted before but seeing how this is your new and official thread I'll happily give you the official "welcome aboard" post!!!!! Your guitars look great, I hope to see some more 7's soon!!

4. Stereordinary

Thanks Tom! I'll tell ya, I've been a six-string player all my life, but after I finished my first seven and spent some time with it, I'm really hooked on the feel. I have big hands and long fingers, so extended scales and extra strings aren't really that much of a stretch for me. But what an inspiring thing to play!

5. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Hi Paul your guitars are very cool! I can't wait to see an 8 string Zodiac, that thing is gonna be killer :metal:

6. Stereordinary

Eight-string Zodiac, I like the way you think!

Gonna have to mock that up.

7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Whoa, FINALLY a luthier in my neck of the woods! I'm gonna have to look at your stuff...

8. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I've been watching waaaaay too much Forensic Files.

9. Stereordinary

Way cool! I love getting to know folks locally. If you ever want to meet up, come see the shop, that sort of thing, just shoot me a PM! My schedule is kind of weird, but hopefully we'd be able to find a day.

10. Stereordinary

I suppose I'll repost this here, since it seems that the original thread that Joe posted for it is gonna stay closed. It's a demo/review and play-through video of the prototype of my Paramour seven-string model.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  11. Stereordinary

Here's some photos of the eight-string Paramour I'm building for NAMM. There's more photos in the album, but these are the latest.

[​IMG]

I decided to drill it for a Hipshot hardtail bridge instead of the ABM that I've used in the past. The ABM is nice, but expensive to import, and I like that the Hipshot has side walls. Not to mention, it's made in the USA, and I'll be using Hipshot tuners as well.

Also, I went with a more modern control layout, and I'll probably put a five-way switch in there for some single-coil options.

[​IMG]

In this photo the neck is not fully carved, and the neck heel is not blended into the body yet.

[​IMG]

Here's the neck as it currently sits. It's .823-.88". Looking around at what companies like Ibanez, Schecter, and Carvin are doing, that's still a little on the thick side. But I don't know, I hear some of you guys don't like how thin the Ibanez necks are. So what do you think?

12. Stereordinary

Oh also, in regards to overall thickness, I suppose it's worth mentioning that I'm not using jumbo frets. These might be large for medium-sized frets, but they're a step down from jumbo/wide. They are Jescar .047-.095".

13. Stereordinary

Here's a rough version. Don't know if I love it hate it, lol.

[​IMG]

14. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Ehhhhhh. :noway:

15. dedsouth333

dedsouth333 That one dude...

Man. I'm loving some of your work! It's also relieving to see someone who isn't opposed to making guitars with thicker necks (Ibbys cramp the hell out of my hands). I'm seeing a few models on your site (from your covers and originals, especially the paramount) that are successfully blowing my skirt up. :lol:

16. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

Your "covers" look amazing!

Not sure about that zodiac 8, looks like neck dive to me

:welcome:

17. Stereordinary

Thanks! Yeah, I have big hands with long-ass fingers so big necks are really comfortable for me. I can carve a neck any way someone wants it, I do them all by hand. But, for me personally, I like them just a hair larger than medium.

Yeah, I think I have to agree with you guys. It's fun to mockup something like that Zodiac 8 string, but it's pretty impractical.

Thanks! I know my original designs aren't for everybody, but hopefully I've flexed my building muscles enough with the Covers that everyone can see what I'm capable of.

18. Stereordinary

Not ERG-related, but here's a quick pic of the latest guitar I'm finishing up. It's the top-of-the-line Oceana model, I call it the Oceana Marquis. It features a larger semi-hollow body with "S"-holes, a 25.5" scale, and deluxe features throughout. This particular one, the first of it's kind, is all-Mahogany with an Ebony fretboard, white plastic binding all over, Venn diagram pearloid inlay pattern, Roadhouse Pickups Vista-Tone pickups (recreations of the old Supro pickups), and co-branded Mastery bridge and vibrato.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Stereordinary

Here's the latest on the eight string Paramour.

The bridge and tuners came in from Hipshot.

[​IMG]

And the top... well it looks like this.

[​IMG]

20. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

^^^ Well, THAT will certainly turn some heads at NAMM!